• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10 ton variant?

MotorTMan

Can anyone elaborate on this subject? I was chatting with a buddy of mine whom I spent time with in the USMC with. We were talking about a winter op in Ft McCoy WI we had participated in back in the 80's. On these ops, in WI and other areas I was at (Panama also) we would go to DRMO and "borrow" vehicles from the Army in these ops for the duration of the exercise and return them. We got to operate vehicles the Corps no longer had in the mid 80's, such as m35's, Mack powered 5 tons, gassers, etc...My question is, was there a gasser 10 ton dump variant? I ask because we got called to the motor pool to drive this dump that the regular drivers had a hell of a time shifting. Being that we drove M123's , they figured we could drive anything. I remember it being a gasser, and I could recall the bigger rubber. It didnt shift like a regular 5 ton, but indeed, double clutching it like a 123 did make it go. I never saw one other than up there, or for sale anywhere, whether junk or running. Anyone know if there is such a beast?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to DDoyle's book they only made the tractor and to a lesser extent the cargo version.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TacticalTruck said:
According to Crismon, DOD also considered a dump and long wheel base cab and chassis version. I think I have the only long wheel base made, XM124, Serial #1001.[/quote
What's that hanging down under the front bumper? Looks like a winch of some kind.

TacticalTruck

The truck runs and drives, believe it or not. It was a dyno truck from Ft Belvior proving grounds. The thing under the bumper is a tow rig and it is hooked to an identical one in the rear by two heavy cables. It was designed to tow or be towed by a vehicle so that they could check the towing or braking power of the test vehicle. There is a picture of it in Military Vehicle from 1968 when they were testing the ro-ro tractor. I intend to restore it. I was originally thinking of putting a standard cab on it until the M-V article came out. Now I'll have to restore the crew cab.
Jeff

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
can you send more pics of that nice crew cab truck. i would love to add them to my collection of photos thanks Tim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks