• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1078 Timing Cover

Ronmar

The fittings on the hydro manifold are the same as on the hand pump(SAE-4 TO JIC-4 adapters). If you have a hand pump, you can re-use one of the lines from the manifold and connect it from the pump output to the T connection that feeds the latch and the lift side of the cab cylinder. that T is inside the main frame rail, almost directly inboard of where the hand pump is located. You can connect the return side of the cab lift cylinder to the return port on the pump.

This will allow you to pump up the cab. I am not sure if you can lower it this way though...

The restricted orifices that control flow are in the control valve manifold. you would have to reverse the lines on the hand pump to pump it back over the balance point, but there is no restricted orifice in the hand pump, so it may flow too well and trip the safety check in the lift cylinder As the cab starts down…

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I get the latch to release and hook a chain right there and pick em up.

You can also use a 6x6 block with 2 forklifts under each wheel well and lift it on each side

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Engine leaks oil is why someone started the repair. No doubt the air compressor is missing the support bracket.
Yeah, this is the most likely cause of that crack. The aluminum front part of the engine often cracks because of vibrations from the air compressor. The air compressor has a bracket on the back to support it that occasionally comes loose or is missing, and then the unsupported air compressor does the damage. Driveshaft vibrations can also cause or exacerbate it.

abfisher1798

Thanks for the info. I’ll see if I can track down a replacement cover.
When I get the cab up, I’ll know more about what’s needed.

I can weld the crack shut. Or is that a bad idea?

abfisher1798

I finally got the cab up. Most of what I can see looks pretty good, except of course I am still missing a timing cover, and the existing aluminum housing is cracked. I think the air compressor was vibrating, which cracked the housing and caused an oil leak and maybe the motor pool didn't want to bother with it and sold it after a few years.
Some photos are attached, Please let me know if something jumps out at yo that I'm missing.
I think I can weld the crack shut, install a new timing cover and maybe be in business?

Anyone health with something similar?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks