• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10KW head found on MEP002A

1800 Diesel

New discovery made today--as I was finishing up final preps for an MEP002A for a family friend, I pulled off the tape covering the generator head label plate and much to my surprise read that it was a 10 KW head (Bogue Electric model 7701). Never noticed it before since the unit wasn't side-by-side with another MEP002A. But in checking another MEP2 on hand, I can tell now that the head on this unit is longer than the 5 KW head by about 5-6 inches. Now I'm in a quandary....as this unit is 95% RFI (pending final load-test & cosmetic stuff), I'm hesitant to let it go and lose a "spare" 10 KW head. I can build up another MEP2 & hold onto this one, but that will take the associated time not in my schedule, but on the other hand, having the 10 KW around for a spare is tempting.

If I leave the larger head on this unit, how does it function properly (i.e. not go beyond the overload settings of the 5 KW unit)? Or will it stall the engine when I start load testing beyond 6-7 KW?

Anyone else ever run into this? What would you guys do in my situation?

Thanks

1800 Diesel

Has anyone heard of an MEP003 gen head going bad? I would think THAT should be your answer.
So you're saying I don't really need a spare and if the unit functions properly, let it go with the larger head?

Interestingly, this one was overhauled at the Tooele Army Depot a few years ago, so I assume they made the switch to the larger head...I just don't know enough about the electrical side and how the VR, etc. would function correctly with the larger head...??

Last edited:

Triple Jim

I can't think of any reason it won't work fine, but you'll still need to observe the maximum rating of an MEP-002A, since I assume the main breaker is still the one for a 5 kW unit, and there are control components that aren't right for exceeding the rating of an MEP-002A. Yes, you're right about the engine being a limit if you were to try to use more power than it can put out.

1800 Diesel

I can't think of any reason it won't work fine, but you'll still need to observe the maximum rating of an MEP-002A, since I assume the main breaker is still the one for a 5 kW unit, and there are control components that aren't right for exceeding the rating of an MEP-002A. Yes, you're right about the engine being a limit if you were to try to use more power than it can put out.
I've already run this unit & everything functions properly--both DC & AC side. Just haven't done a full load test as we're still gathering parts to build a load cell. I'm inclined to keep this machine and just build another one that has the proper 5KW head. That way if I come across another MEP3 with a good engine but a fried head--I can build a complete 10KW unit.

1800 Diesel

How did it fit on an 002a frame/base?
Fits just fine--about 2"+ clearance between the rear of the meter box frame and the end of the head IWO the louvers...It was "normal" enough that I didn't notice anything out until I pulled the masking tape off the data plate on the head & saw the 10KW nomenclature...wasn't expecting this, hence it got by me during the many hours of servicing & painting etc. In the future I'll be more keen to looking at the clearance between the head & the rear side of the meter box when inspecting MEP002A units...learning new things every day! :)

goldneagle

I think you are just looking for someone to tell you what you want to hear. I get a sense you want to keep the 10kw head. So keep it! What is the big deal? Sounds like you got another unit there that you can sell instead. :-D

1800 Diesel

I think you are just looking for someone to tell you what you want to hear. I get a sense you want to keep the 10kw head. So keep it! What is the big deal? Sounds like you got another unit there that you can sell instead. :-D
Not as concerned about keeping the 10KW head as I am being comfortable that the unit will function properly when it get's up to 6-7KW or so....Will the circuit breaker still trip as it's designed to for a 5 KW unit or did someone install electrical components designed for the MEP3 machine, thus causing the 2 cyl engine to overload to a stall condition? All I've been able to test on this one is the convenience outlet so I have no idea what the trip point will be. My gut is that everything electrical is still the original 5KW stuff, but not knowing these machines electrically as well as mechanically--that is what causes my doubts and/or concerns. And yes I would probably rather keep the head for a spare or a donor for another machine. Still have 3 MEP3s on hand that I haven't had time to service & complete functional testing, so having a spare head ain't a bad idea....

I don't need someone to tell me to keep the 10 KW head--I would like someone to offer technical advice on how to validate/verify the electrical side will be good-to-to as configured. Though once I complete the load bank rig we're working on, at least I'll be able to bring up the load in stages and see what happens when I get to the 7+KW range...

Thanks for your interest.

Last edited:

212sparky

If your are in a rush to test the unit Sunbelt rentals rents generator load cells to test generators. I use them all the time at work and may have slipped mine in an time or two :roll:. They work good and dont have to have it sitting around all the time. Also nopics

1800 Diesel

If your are in a rush to test the unit Sunbelt rentals rents generator load cells to test generators. I use them all the time at work and may have slipped mine in an time or two :roll:. They work good and dont have to have it sitting around all the time. Also nopics

That sounds like a good idea but funds are not available for paying for a load cell rental. I could also set up a salt box pretty quickly, but haven't acquired a good Fluke yet either. As to pics, we've had steady rain here for several days now with no end in sight. I'll try to get a couple on Monday & post. Assuming you want to see the 10KW head as installed?

Thanks.

leedawg

id say no difference with the head that is on there the thing that limits it to a 5kw unit is the overload circuitry. So the breaker and the current transformers are all set for about 5kw. That being said you will never have to worry about burning up the head on that machine since it is rated for probably more than double what the mep002 was designed to put out.

However if say you did not have a circuit breaker there to drop out and you were directly connected to the head you could pull enough power off that thing to probably bog the motor down till it stalled out.

The obvious situation that would not work very well would be if a guy had a mep003 and somebody put a 5kw head on it. I would think you would see the windings burn up on that over time.

I also see in your post that you own 4 mep003's. Why not just look very closely inside the voltage reconnection box of one of them and compare it to this unit. Id think the breaker has a rating and writing on it somewhere so that you know what part it is. Just a thought.

Its always nice to have a couple machines to compare between.

Last edited:

1800 Diesel

id say no difference with the head that is on there the thing that limits it to a 5kw unit is the overload circuitry. So the breaker and the current transformers are all set for about 5kw. That being said you will never have to worry about burning up the head on that machine since it is rated for probably more than double what the mep002 was designed to put out.

However if say you did not have a circuit breaker there to drop out and you were directly connected to the head you could pull enough power off that thing to probably bog the motor down till it stalled out.

The obvious situation that would not work very well would be if a guy had a mep003 and somebody put a 5kw head on it. I would think you would see the windings burn up on that over time.

I also see in your post that you own 4 mep003's. Why not just look very closely inside the voltage reconnection box of one of them and compare it to this unit. Id think the breaker has a rating and writing on it somewhere so that you know what part it is. Just a thought.

Its always nice to have a couple machines to compare between.
leedawg--Was planning to do just that. We've been smothered with day after day thunderstorms out here and outside working conditions have been nothing but miserable. I have to travel out of state for the next few days so won't get back on the MEP job until this coming Friday.

Hope you guys are doing well out west. I'm certain you Napa weather has got to be nicer than what we're seeing. Thanks for replying & will try to get a couple photos to post before it gets too dark...

1800 Diesel

If your are in a rush to test the unit Sunbelt rentals rents generator load cells to test generators. I use them all the time at work and may have slipped mine in an time or two :roll:. They work good and dont have to have it sitting around all the time. Also

nopics
212sparky,

Uploaded the attached photos. 1st one--battery/fuel tank side view, 2nd pic blower end view, 3rd one showing gen head lkg toward fuel tank & last one showing a close-up of the generator data plate. Hope this helps to make my post not worthless! :)

Attachments

Jimc

haha the gen head is made in nj. everything is made either here or in taiwan. lol nice job on that btw. looks clean. amazing what a little cleanup and paint can do.

1800 Diesel

haha the gen head is made in nj. everything is made either here or in taiwan. lol nice job on that btw. looks clean. amazing what a little cleanup and paint can do.
Jimc,

This is the first time I had noticed the manufacturer's name for the gen head. When I googled it, I came across a couple generators that listed Bogue as the brand (vice Libby or JRH)....

BTW, thanks on the job compliment. My son helped out alot on this one. Being for a family friend we put quite a fair amount of time into it. The top of the head suffered from the "paint flaking off in sheets syndrome" (with rust underneath). So we did quite a bit of sanding prior to painting. Since I needed one of these for my small shop, I'll just hold onto this one and build another for the family friend. As long as they get it before hurricane season, they'll be happy....

Last edited:

leedawg

leedawg--Was planning to do just that. We've been smothered with day after day thunderstorms out here and outside working conditions have been nothing but miserable. I have to travel out of state for the next few days so won't get back on the MEP job until this coming Friday.

Hope you guys are doing well out west. I'm certain you Napa weather has got to be nicer than what we're seeing. Thanks for replying & will try to get a couple photos to post before it gets too dark...

Things out west Sunny and beautiful as usual :) Could use a little rain though its looking to be a dry summer here, Flowers and trees are already blooming and its only February.

Every time I see your sig i see Santa Rosa there is a city in Sonoma county called Santa Rosa which is just over the hill from Napa and I always thing your close by then read the FL. Any way yeah will be interesting to see what you find out when you do the comparison after you get back from your trip. Let us know. Have a great evening.

Lee

1800 Diesel

Things out west Sunny and beautiful as usual :) Could use a little rain though its looking to be a dry summer here, Flowers and trees are already blooming and its only February.

Every time I see your sig i see Santa Rosa there is a city in Sonoma county called Santa Rosa which is just over the hill from Napa and I always thing your close by then read the FL. Any way yeah will be interesting to see what you find out when you do the comparison after you get back from your trip. Let us know. Have a great evening.

Lee
Lee,

Would be happy to see you some of our rain...Just Monday past we had 3.65" (in one 24-hr period)...had to lock my hubs on the truck the other day just to get off my property & onto the street...

1800 Diesel

goldneagle,

Decided to go ahead & deliver the generator with the 10KW head. Thought I'd post one of our load-out photos of the generator after everything was installed. Our Ford 3600 tractor lift started acting up today so we had to drag it over to our "sky-hook" (chain fall hanging between two oaks) to load it onto the truck. I see in the photo I didn't quite get the red clay off the skid....will clean that up when I deliver it to Mississippi.

BTW, did you go to Sou. Miss? Their football team is named the same as your handle...

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks