• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12 or 24 volt system

timmobo

I’ve got an 6.2 diesel ‘86 CUCV, that had a 24 volt system. I didn’t know much about the system and had a family friend make it a 12 volt system…but I don’t think he put in a 12 volt starter. I’m not sure exactly what he did. It seems that all he did was change the wiring so that only 12 volts goes to the starter, so now it always sounds low on charge when starting. Instead of buying a new starter I wondered about just changing the wiring on the batteries to be in series but wanted to confirm what else I should check so that if I wire the batteries in series I don’t fry something.

Finnegan1008

Not trying to be a jerk but I suggest you study up on this by reading through the many existing threads on the subject.

this is because you likely wont get a shortcut answer and even if you did, you need to understand the basics of the wiring system on these trucks before any advice would be useful.

The good news is the system is actually extremely Simple and after a bit of homework you will understand what you have going on.

timmobo

Not trying to be a jerk but I suggest you study up on this by reading through the many existing threads on the subject.

this is because you likely wont get a shortcut answer and even if you did, you need to understand the basics of the wiring system on these trucks before any advice would be useful.

The good news is the system is actually extremely Simple and after a bit of homework you will understand what you have going on.
Apparently, my research skills aren’t as good as yours. I hunted through trying to find threads on this, but didn’t find anything that seemed particularly straightforward. There is no question there’s plenty of homework. I have to do to understand everything that’s going on with this truck. But thanks for the advice.

Finnegan1008

Apparently, my research skills aren’t as good as yours. I hunted through trying to find threads on this, but didn’t find anything that seemed particularly straightforward. There is no question there’s plenty of homework. I have to do to understand everything that’s going on with this truck. But thanks for the advice.
I found these pretty helpful when I began un- hacking my wiring (still a work in progress)

all of these live in the “helpful CUCV threads” tab in the CUCV forum. That page has 99% of what there is to know about these trucks.

Last edited:

nyoffroad

I'd be spending some time with the "family friend" and find out exactly what he did and carefully ask him why he did it.
The stock system is a good system, a bit odd but it has lasted all this time. Personally I'd go back to the 24v starter as it uses only half the amps of a 12v system. I've had both, 2 civvie 6.2 12volt system and many CUCV 24v system, I had more trouble with the 12v. ones than the 24v.
Why? Some of the problems were from temp sensors/glow plug controllers and some was because of burnt up starters due to high amperage.

85CUCVtom

My M1009 was converted to 12v by the previous owner and I honestly wish it wasn't. The 24v system is pretty simple.

Your first step is to figure out what exactly was changed on on the starting and charging system. Figure that out then go from there.

NVAM998

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not hijacking but I have a M998 that is stock 24 V and was reading the TM 9-2320-280-20-1 for fluids capacity and noticed on page 1-32 that the starter voltage is listed as 12 V. The batteries are in series so the truck isn't a 12 V system. Did they actually use a 12 V starter figuring running it on 24 V would make it spin more better? Do they have a giant series resistor to drop the voltage to the starter? I haven't actually measured the voltage as it works fine but it did make me curious.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks