• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12V equipment in M1078 A0

stewartoverland

Hi guys,

I want to install different
lightbars, worklight, cb, radio, fan, switches, usb in my m1078 cab. all items are based on 12V.

Do I need an 24 V to 12V inverter or is it possible to connect wiring directly with power distribution panel.

Btw. I have no idea about electric matters. So please be kind. 😊

papakb

Why are you creating headaches for yourself? Everything you mentioned is available in 24 volts with the possible exception of the CB radio and hardly anyone uses a CB any more.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Why are you creating headaches for yourself? Everything you mentioned is available in 24 volts with the possible exception of the CB radio and hardly anyone uses a CB any more.
LMTVs have a dual voltage alternator. There is no issue running those types of things on an LMTV
Hi guys,

I want to install different
lightbars, worklight, cb, radio, fan, switches, usb in my m1078 cab. all items are based on 12V.

Do I need an 24 V to 12V inverter or is it possible to connect wiring directly with power distribution panel.

Btw. I have no idea about electric matters. So please be kind. 😊
You are fine to hook into the 12v side of it. Just run a fuse panel for those items direct from the battery
. If you start running into load problems then just get the heavier voltage alternator that is available.

mechanicjim

yes on the LMTV/FMTV they came with a dual voltage alternator, there should be a name tag on it see which one you have. run all loads off the lower battery(12V) and use a fuse panel to protect.
if you want to help your self theres a book by a guy named Dan suillivan that covers fundamental electrical troubleshooting in a manner easy enough most can understand
https://www.esitest.com/182.html
the book is also available other places this is just one source.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run a bunch of radio stuff off the 12v tap in the Power Distribution Panel. It's a good solid 12v -14v with the truck running. Not much electrical noise on it either. As MechanicJim stated, coming from the battery would work fine too but consider that the route into the cab is going to be long due to the cab tilt requirement.

The down-side of the PDP sourced 12v is that with the truck off, and the voltage drop across the Polarity Protection box diodes, plus long wiring path, the PDP's 12v drops to about 11 volts under a few amps load and many radios will not operate at 11v. For example, a Kenwood TM-281 can't handle it and cycles off if I transmit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks