• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12v Parallel System

biscuitwhistler37

Hello all, I purchased a 69 Kaiser m35a2 with a 12v alternator set up in parallel with the 24v generator and system, and I know it's installed improperly. Throughout this thread I will be assessing and documenting exactly what is installed improperly and how I remedied the problem. So far the known problems are: 12v alternator wired to 24v battery system, mounted hard (metal to metal) to the alternator bracket, which is mounted hard to the engine. These are big no no's. Any 12v alternator installed needs to be isolated from all metal on the truck and engine, because the 24v system grounds to the truck and engine. Solution: rubber tube "bushings" on the alternator bolts for the alternator to sit on when installed. The alternator is also routed to one of the batteries in the 24v system. Huge no no. The ideal setup is to run your 12v alternator to an added 12v house battery. Now unless you're going to be running electric winches and things that take huge power, just about any small to medium battery will work, and I'm sure someone will correct me if that's inaccurate, but as long as the alternator's charging capabilities don't overcome the batteries load capacity, you shouldn't have a problem. I'm going with a deep cycle marine battery, because I have half a dozen laying around, and for my setup it's ideal. Heading out to start rerouting wires now, when it's squared away I'll post pics and step two, wiring in a 12v panel, will begin. Happy fixing!!!!!

biscuitwhistler37

Ok, so after further reflection, (and much shame) I discovered that I don't have an alternator/generator combo, just an alternator who's voltage is yet to be determined! The generator is in a box of extras that came with it. Soooo I guess as I'm going to run it til I need new batteries, then rebuild the system as a 3 battery setup and update as I go. 20231220_154519.jpg20231220_154506.jpg

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, so after further reflection, (and much shame) I discovered that I don't have an alternator/generator combo, just an alternator who's voltage is yet to be determined! The generator is in a box of extras that came with it. Soooo I guess as I'm going to run it til I need new batteries, then rebuild the system as a 3 battery setup and update as I go. View attachment 913173View attachment 913174
When I bought my Deuce, the original generator wasn't working. I swapped it to a modern 24V Delco clone using the same design (flat bar and spacer at the rear) that yours has. I copied what was posted in a thread on Steel Soldiers (can't seem to find it now). Nice thing about the way its mounted is it could easily be changed back, if desired.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a dual Delco alternator setup I installed on my deuce after the original alternator quit. One is 12 volt and the other 24. Both are one- wire alternators. I did not isolate either alternator because I went to a three- battery setup. The ground is common for both the 12 and 24 volt systems. No need for rubber bushings. It was pretty easy to do and has been working well for years.

FYI: there are isolated ground 12 volt alternators that are used on CUCVs to get a 12 and 24 volt system using two batteries. They use a regular ground alternator for the “lower” battery and the isolated ground one for the “ upper” battery. If you need an isolated ground, the special alternator is the way to go. Using insulated bushings on a regular alternator is asking for trouble because the case would be “hot” relative to the engine block it is mounted to.

biscuitwhistler37

Guessing that's what happened here, haven't tested the generator in the box yet. Only thing "wrong" with this setup is the alternator doesn't self energize, it has to be stimulated by crossing the poles with a small wire and arcing. Once that happens though it functions properly until the truck is shut off and restarted. Ever have a problem like that?

biscuitwhistler37

That's a lot simpler than having to isolate. Contradicts everything I read, but if you never had a problem with it, when the time comes I will install them un-isolated and see what happens. Did you ever have a problem with the 24v system not energizing?

GopherHill

Guessing that's what happened here, haven't tested the generator in the box yet. Only thing "wrong" with this setup is the alternator doesn't self energize, it has to be stimulated by crossing the poles with a small wire and arcing. Once that happens though it functions properly until the truck is shut off and restarted. Ever have a problem like that?
You need a light bulb to simulate the idiot light in the dash. It will self energize then.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks