• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

14.00 Bias tires on M817

tobyS

I have purchased a pair of bias tires that are Specialty Tire of America CC 14.00 x 20. Does anyone know where to locate more of them? Can one run bias on the front and radials on the rear 2 axles in a singles configuration?

212sparky

You have to have matching types on the same axle. Like bias ply on front axle and radial on the rear, per federal motor standards.

tobyS

I have 7 United 14.00-20s ndcc available.

I tried to find the United and have not had much luck. Are your tires like these? Do you have a picture or link?

I like the lug style since the 817 has them on now (11.00).

Attachments

tobyS

I'll update this thread. Thanks to the help of NDT, we have arranged the purchase of 5 of his tires that match the 2 I have. So the 817 gets a full set of new old stock NDCC 14.00 tires to replace the 11.00's.

I have a tractor to snatch wheels and hope to find 24 bolt to replace them. Since the truck was drug with the brakes locked, the back four tires flat spotted and need replaced anyway.

I tried a couple of cleaners on the NOS tires above as there seems to be an original preservative that holds dirt now. Water and soap were first followed by other cleaners and ultimately gasoline (lightly on towel). That got them clean but seemed too aggressive. I had a contaminated brown axle grease that I tried on a small area. It works great! The dirt is carried away in the excess grease, that is wiped off completely. It leaves the best "new look" (which of course will fade) that I have found. Putting it on, brushing it in and wiping it off is a lot of work!

Comments on using old grease on tires?

tobyS

Not sure why you didn't just run a set of the 14.00 radial from the M939 series trucks?
It came with bias tires in this style (however budd) and the cost of these fit my budget (PM me if you want more info).

I also have the NDCC on a 73 F600 4x4 boomtruck (in the 9.00's) and they have served me well for 20 years (now really weather checked but still holding air). I purchased a couple of M105 trailers for the F600 tires and wheels (need 6), so the boomtruck gets new tires also. All are the bias NDCC.

The 931 tractor will get modern radials, but may wear the old 11.00's for a while since I need both nice tires and wheels (7). I bought it non-running at the Indy GL sale but missed the flat spots on it's rear tires. May go to 395's on it.

tobyS

Here is a view of the truck with the 11.00's.

I will post for comparison when I have them changed. It may be a while.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks