• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

16.00 r20 on m51a2 dump?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I have read I will have about 2 inches between the rear tires which I can live with. Any issues with this tire size on a dump body? Planning on hemmt / combat rims combo.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have read I will have about 2 inches between the rear tires which I can live with. Any issues with this tire size on a dump body? Planning on hemmt / combat rims combo.
From what I've read on the forum here over the years is that the reason that size is not common on a dump truck is not due to fitment but due to a high center of gravity when working a loaded dump truck and the overall hauling performance where original duals or 395s would work better.

Are you making yours more of a toy than a working (and I don't mean functional) dump truck?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got 16.00s and hemtt rims on my M925. My M925 is mostly a toy, although it occasionally makes long trips pulling trailers.

I've got 14.00s on my M936A2. I'll be putting 11.00s on it for better low end and greater stability.

As US6x4 says above, if your dumptruck is primarily a toy, nothing looks cooler than 16.00s. But even empty you take a noticeable hit on low end power. Loaded, you're going to be using low range...

Attachments

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i hope you don't intend to haul OTR loads with a 5T multifuel on 1600's and expect to get over 35mph (except downhill) .. As others have said, even if it's a toy it's gonna take more than that multifuel can give to roll tires that tall and maintain its rated road speed.. If you do any off-road hauling/dumping, you will have a higher more-dangerous center of gravity to contend with during cornering and dumping,, a narrower and less-stable wheeltrack width, and a much-reduced vertical tire clearance to the bottom of the bed which will bite you on uneven ground .. If it's just a non-hauling toy, sure, it will look cool but as others have said, you are gonna take a big hit in acceleration and road speed .. You will likely spend most of your time running in low range to get a decent recoverable gap between gears .. Example; my M62 (unfortunately gov't-remotored to multifuel) spends all of its time in low range except the few times highway terrain allows it to make and maintain at least 40mph, which means only on long flats as well as downhill... It's underpowered, even with 1100s and a direct-5th tranny.. Granted the beast is about 35,000# "empty", but my point is, this is the kind of "performance" a M51A2 dump will give you with 1100's, loaded to gross same weight. Don't get your hopes up about maintaining road speeds or gaining additional speed if you aren't flatland or downhill in all directions, because you will be badly disappointed out on the open highway .. Just running empty around the village or city, well, knock yourself out on the 1600's, it will be cool (y)

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a toy for parade and veterans events. Have a pyrometer to install so I can safely turn up the fuel a small amount.
please keep in mind they sure can be turned up, but the multifuels will actually lose power and be nothing but a smoke show if set beyond a certain point .. That setpoint depends on the individual condition of the engine and whichever turbo it currently has .. Seen some 5T A2's leave the system with a deuce turbo on them .. It can be very satisfying to find the "magic fuel setting" on a truck (y)

Last edited:

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Understood. This truck has the whistler model turbo if that helps gauge how much extra fuel it can take. I have a deleted and tuned cummins 6.7 for performance excursions, I only want a hair more performance to offset the tires for getting up to about 35-40 on the way to events.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks