• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

16r20 XML's on HEMMT rim measurement please.

cerial0411

I had a long explanation. But, the short version goes like this. I have some 5 ton axles that I want to narrow. I want 78" total width between the tire sidewalls. I don't have the rims and tires and don't have room to store them for the next year while building the axles. I will be using 16r20 XML tires mounted on HEMTT rims.

What I am requesting help on is a measurement of the overall width from the sidewall to the WMS on the inside and outside of the rim.

I found a few websites and the general understanding is that the XML is 17.2" in total width.
Thanks to this site I found the HEMTT rim is 8.88" from the wheel mounting surface to the rim lip. The rim lip measures 12.875". And I am guessing that the rim thickness is 1/2".

This all equates to this.
Tire.......IR..WMS..OR....Tire
2.1625+8.88+.5+3.495+2.1625=17.2 total width

What this means is that from the tire to the outermost of the tire will be 6.1575" for a total of 12.315". If this is correct I need to narrow the axles 65.685" between the wheel mounting surfaces. Yes, I know it is tight between the kingpins and this thing is rear engine with that in mind.

But, before I go nuts and start cutting up my air lockable 5 tons. I want to be 100% sure that I am correct in my rim measurements.

If anyone has a set of 16r20 XML's mounted on HEMTT rims that could take the time to break out a tape measure and confirm my internet based measurements that would mean a lot to me.

Thank you for looking.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's really easy: a typical 16.00R20 tire has an overall section width of 17.0" (+/-.1"). So if you center those 17 inches over the rim you will find 6.0", measured from the WMS to the outer tire sidewall, and 11.0", to the inner sidewall.

78" - (2x6") = 66" (which is more or less what you had calculated)

Take a look at the drawing....

G.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks