• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1918 Class B (Liberty) Truck Engine Sold Up Into 1932???

Bud Tierney

This engine, designed in 1917 and put into production in 1918, aka the Liberty Truck engine, is identified in some of my old engine parts catalogs as the Cont'l B2 43/4x6, altho cooperatively built by several engine m'f'rs...
Put into production in 1918, military production was supposedly continued after the war for experimental modifications to the Class B trucks...
Continental also sold a B2 engine, roughly 1918-32, to some thirty civilian m'f'r's,
and those old catalogs make no mention of different military/civilian versions...
Does anyone here know if the civilian B2s were the same as, or had differences from, the military engines, or whether the civilian B2s would be suitable/acceptable to Class B truck restorers??
My apologies if this's in the wrong pew; any comments appreciated!! Many thxx!! Bud Tierney

Landbarger

I don't have a clue about answering your question, but welcome to the site.

Ginning up more interest might motivate some more answers or jog some members' memories loose. What are you looking up the information for? Are you doing a restoration/engine swap or just curious for historical value?

Another Ahab

This engine, designed in 1917 and put into production in 1918, aka the Liberty Truck engine, is identified in some of my old engine parts catalogs as the Cont'l B2 43/4x6, altho cooperatively built by several engine m'f'rs...
I don't know the answer to your question, but somebody else here likely does.

So, Welcome from here in Virginia, and if you got a minute a pic of that block will be real appreciated.

Bud Tierney

Many thxx to all who read my question and/or replied...
My interest here is purely academic; I live primarily on old-engine sites like smokstak, my interest being the inline and some V8s etc built by the independent US engine builders...
As here, a great deal of the traffic on such sites is looking for obsolete parts and/or advice (or sympathy) re' attempting to restore old units...
A recent post by such an unfortunate soul, looking for Class B engine and other parts, reminded me that nothing I'd seen on Class B trucks mentioned these later civilian engines as possible replacements...
Posting this question to smokstak (Antq Car/Truck forum) and ATHS General forum have also drawn blanks...I know someone's bound to've covered this somewhere; the trick is to find it in the tons of info published/online...
There's a nice thumbnail of the Class B and it's engine, etc on an Army site? I didn't note, but I think it came up under Googling Class B Military truck...
No, have no relatives anywhere out here..
Again, Many Thxx!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks