• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 Autocar modification for towing

Oldfart

York Hoover van body

I found a couple of photos of the York Hoover Van body. The trucks they are mounted on in the radar set up photo are not Autocar's, but you can see the difference in use of the van body with one for the generator and the other for the "electronics".

If anyone just happens to see one of these bodies floating around somewhere let Jollyroger know.

Attachments

jollyroger

The York Hoover van bodies were truck brand specific. In the radio setup picture the trucks are the GMC cabovers. The GMC cabover van bodies had square rear wheel well openings. The Autocar van bodies had round rear wheel well openings. In the first picture there is also a picture of the stakeside GMC truck. I have not found any pictures or evidence that in any of the setups the Autocars were fitted with or used as stakeside trucks. i have found that the Autocar van body trucks were used as repair and parts van body trucks for other radar projects after they were no longer deployed for the 268-270 Radar systems.

3dAngus

That is a cool truck. I keep getting more and more excited about all the different possibilities of this hobby as some of you guys show up with your new toys. I love it.

I'm just curious. How long did it take to drill out those six holes in the bumper with that drill and bit? I must be doing something wrong. Maybe I need a set of newer high dollar bits rather than the Christmas stocking stuffers I get every year. And does the air help over electric? Fantastic job. Right towbar for the job too! Finding those tow bracket shackles to mount on the front was a good deal.

jollyroger

The frame , bumper support and bumper were each made of 3/8ths steel. We think there was some hardened material because we hit some hard spots in the bumper supports.

OK, for this job we used some Snap on Thunder bits and a Snap On slow speed air drill for the pilot hole and secondary hole. The final 5/8ths hole we used a cheaper 1/2 shank 5/8ths bit from Harbor Freight. The slow speed air drill is specific for drilling hard metals. It keeps the bits cooler so they stay sharper longer......By the fifth secondary hole we dulled the 7/16ths bit and had to sharpen it.......And this was a 2 man job.......We have not sprung for the magnetic drill stand yet so my buddy Jeff ran the drill and I provided the down pressure with a pry bar against the back of the drill using the grill guard as a leverage point. And it still took a while to get the holes drilled.

The real key is to run as slow a drill tip speed as possible. Lubricants help but slow speed and pressure work better than high speed and drill oils.

Attachments

w896andy

Autocar U8144

Hi, Read your blog with interest. I have one of the other U8144 Radio trucks here in the UK, I know of one other also over here.

Mine has had the chassis cut back to the length of the tractor unit but it looks like it never had a fifth wheel fitted. Its definitely a radio bodied one as the chassis number shows it to be and the front bumper is non-winch.

I bought it about a month ago locally and its been in store for the last 30 years or so, it runs and drives and I have all the cab parts some of which are new, it just needs shot blasting, painting and putting back together, sounds easy when you say it fast !!

Andy

102_6302.jpg

102_6306 2.jpg

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know its already been said but thanks for posting the pics, that truck is beautiful piece of equipment, please keep the pics coming oldfart you have an already darned nice truck I look forward to seeing it as it progresses!
KK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks