• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 gmc 6x6 replacement engine?

Badassbowtie

Hello i'm rebuilding a 1952 gmc 6x6. I was wondering what engine would be best to put in it. I'm stuck between a 6.5l detroit diesel and a 5.9l cummings. I am just curious if anyone has put any of these engines in a 1952 and how hard it would be and how much work it would be.

The GMC can be difficult to repower with the high and low range in the transmission the transfer case is singal speed and the front axle is reverse rotation .

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Either engine would be good, just a bit of fab work, will need a trick toque converter ( the 6.5 might be a bolt up), I would not worry about the front drive, ect., if you use the oe trans, the trans is based on a tricked up caddy trans, cast iron case. A 52 caddy weighed as much as the truck, the way I under stand it, heavy duty clutch packs, and a few other things were added.
I would look to B&M TRANSMISSION for trick parts and the converter. The caddy trans was a favorite of hot rodders, it could be built to take unimaginable HP, I ran one behind a bored and stroked 53 olds, I could twist drive lines, but the trans never even hic upped.

rustystud

Either engine would be good, just a bit of fab work, will need a trick toque converter ( the 6.5 might be a bolt up), I would not worry about the front drive, ect., if you use the oe trans, the trans is based on a tricked up caddy trans, cast iron case. A 52 caddy weighed as much as the truck, the way I under stand it, heavy duty clutch packs, and a few other things were added.
I would look to B&M TRANSMISSION for trick parts and the converter. The caddy trans was a favorite of hot rodders, it could be built to take unimaginable HP, I ran one behind a bored and stroked 53 olds, I could twist drive lines, but the trans never even hic upped.
I was just ready some old threads for grins and giggles and came across this one. The poster did not realize that the old "Dual Range Hydromatic" 4 speed transmission does not have a torque convertor but a "fluid coupling" . The Flywheel of the engine is the outside of the coupling. There is a really big 'O' ring that seals it. About 14" across. There is about 32 bolts holding it together. So you cannot use just any engine behind this transmission. You can go with a more modern Allison transmission though.
As far as getting parts from B&M transmission, no one has made parts for this transmission for over 50 years. Let alone Hi-Performance parts. I still have some parts laying around though from when I rebuilt them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks