• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 M135 Fuel Pump diagnosis and rebuild

WMontana

Hey guys,

New to the platform and looking for a little guidance. I acquired two M135s on a property I bought. One is a 1952 W/O winch and another is a 1953 W/ Winch. I got the 52 going briefly but it wasn't receiving fuel, so I dove into the tank to find the pump and tank completely guncked up. I couldn't find a rebuild kit or replacement pump so I am in the process of cleaning up the existing one. I pulled the pump housing and found that there was no "external filter screen" on the housing itself and someone had replaced it with a solid piece of metal (as shown), therefore creating a box that didn't allow fuel through by any means that I could find. I pulled the "covers" on both sides and that internal screen that was basically impenetrable for fuel and cleaned it up. Can anyone given me some guidance on whether they've ever seen this or where I can find pump housing external "filter screen." Also anything I should do to help that internal impeller? It looks as if there is something welded or bolted to the inside of the pump housing that would prevent me from pulling the pump completely and rebuilding it. Needless to say its a weird setup that I stumbled upon. Any thought or ideas of how to get this thing working again would be super helpful.

Thanks,
Wyatt

Attachments

02smokemaker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure those "screens" are just clogged badly?
Did you try and really clean em off?

Sent from my ASUS_I003D using Tapatalk

WMontana

I truly don't know, I'm trying to soak them currently. My only thought being that maybe they're some sort or porous metal? I will scrub them more and see what happens if I soak them for a few days in solvent then 1:1 seafoam and gas.

02smokemaker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would do that then compressed air to blow it out!

Let us know how you make out!

Sent from my ASUS_I003D using Tapatalk

USMC 00-08

Can anyone given me some guidance on whether they've ever seen this or where I can find pump housing external "filter screen."

Also anything I should do to help that internal impeller? It looks as if there is something welded or bolted to the inside of the pump housing that would prevent me from pulling the pump completely and rebuilding it. Needless to say its a weird setup that I stumbled upon. Any thought or ideas of how to get this thing working again would be super helpful.

Thanks,
Wyatt
You might call Memphis Equipment and see if they have new fuel filter screens if you can't get those cleaned up. They have more parts than they list on their website. Tell them the part number off this photo. Their phone number is on the bottom of the page.

IMG_20231211_084305458.jpg

Here is a breakdown of the fuel pump. The first photo is of what you have,. The other three are very similar to what you have and should show you how it comes apart. I have gotten these to work before by cleaning up the brushes.

IMG_20231211_084721114.jpgIMG_20231211_083323162.jpgIMG_20231211_083338723.jpgIMG_20231211_083356466~2.jpg

This thread might also be helpful to you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks