• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953 530 B Restore Documentation Pics

neil2007

Hey all!

I'm putting a link here to my website that documents the restoration process I've started on what appears to be a very rare Gas powered 1953 530B Fire Truck.

( I''m opting to put a link to my website instead of filling up our S.S. servers harddrive! )

http://www.letsgettwisted.com/530B/

I hope you all enjoy the pics! I'll keep putting updates on each stage I do for all to enjoy!

Neil

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice truck! Looks to be a great resto project, and a worthy one at that! Keep us updated with pics, just post them inline here, so that everyone can access them...

neil2007

Re: RE: 1953 530 B Restore Documentation Pics

maddawg308 said:
Very nice truck! Looks to be a great resto project, and a worthy one at that! Keep us updated with pics, just post them inline here, so that everyone can access them...
I'll definitely keep ya'll updated the best I can.... I'm usually very photo intensive when I document a build like this.... I'll put the key photos up here, but I'll also keep the majority of the archive on my own server so as to not bog down the SS server with the photos because I'll easily get into the GB of photos on a build like this, unlike others who will have a view MB or so... (Of course that is unless SS has a few extra Gigabytes free that they don't mind using up! :p )

Anway, I'll keep updating this thread as appropriate.

Thanks!

Neil

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: 1953 530 B Restore Documentation Pics

R6602 was in five-tons, deuces had Reo OA-331 (or licensed-built copies from Continental, the COA-331).

DD

acetomatoco

the Civvy equivalent.. REO Gold Comet was used in a lot of medium trucks for many years... Oil delivery trucks, for example...the CD bot a bunch of civvy REO command posts in the 50s.. The OA331 is a fine engine...I have three cylinder liner kits for sale for a $100 ea if anybody needs em...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Very interesting information Neil, thanks for sharing! Jason Curtis in Arkansas should find this valuable and you too David, but you are much further along than he is.

mangus580

neil2007 said:
( I''m opting to put a link to my website instead of filling up our S.S. servers harddrive! )
Umm.... I wouldnt worry about that...

Actually I challenge you to try :lol:

You will wear your camera out doing it!

neil2007

mangus580 said:
neil2007 said:

(I'll probably wear my camera out anyway! :)

So far I have 166 images (66mb) from the initial "Pre-Tow" to the first day at home type stuff. Is there an easy way to add mulitple (like 20 or 30 at a time) pictures to the site without having to do each one individually?

How does one go about making a folder in the photo gallery that I could FTP all the files up or something like that?

Neil

neil2007

Re: RE: Re: RE: 1953 530 B Restore Documentation Pics

cranetruck said:
Very interesting information Neil, thanks for sharing! Jason Curtis in Arkansas should find this valuable and you too David, but you are much further along than he is.
I'm more than happy to be able to provide the information... If ever there was a project of mine to document... This would be it!

If ANYONE needs any specific pics of something on one of these trucks, I'll be more than happy to go out and snap one. The truck is mostly still in original condition all except for some of the electrical which had been modified by someone in it's past... But all that will be gone through and verified...

I hope everyone enjoys the pics!

Later!

Neil

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
neil2007 said:
mangus580 said:
neil2007 said:

(I'll probably wear my camera out anyway! :)

So far I have 166 images (66mb) from the initial "Pre-Tow" to the first day at home type stuff. Is there an easy way to add mulitple (like 20 or 30 at a time) pictures to the site without having to do each one individually?

How does one go about making a folder in the photo gallery that I could FTP all the files up or something like that?

Neil

I agree, a way to load multiple images into a folder for the photo album would be a nice improvement to that section.

FrankUSMC

RE: Re: 1953 530 B Restore Documentation Pics

Neil
I am "almost" done with our move to the new place. This week I filled about 4 or more boxes with M530 gear I picked up from my time in Crash Crew. That is the good news, the bad news is now the stuff is packed away awaiting unpacking....
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

neil2007

Re: RE: Re: 1953 530 B Restore Documentation Pics

FrankUSMC said:
Neil
I am "almost" done with our move to the new place. This week I filled about 4 or more boxes with M530 gear I picked up from my time in Crash Crew. That is the good news, the bad news is now the stuff is packed away awaiting unpacking....
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.
Sounds great! I know all about the "awaiting unpacking" scenario! Still got alot of that going on here too! :shock:

Later!

Neil

neil2007

1953 530 B Progress Report... What I did this weekend....

He Guys... Heres the latest progress report as of 10-08-07

For more pics goto Http://www.letsgettwisted.com/530B/

Final Summary: I have one spot where there is any kind of sepage (Not too bad for the first try!) that I need to grind down and re-weld.I think I'm going to drop a can of sealer in ther while I'm at it... Anyone have any recommendations for a good, yet inexpensive, fuel tank sealer?

I also removed all the screws that hold in the fuel sump, redrilled and tapped to take a larger grade 8 bolt. Also removed the fuel sending unit as well. As it came out of the tank, it was completely rusted in place. Could not move the float or rotate the shaft that goes up to the sensor. Both places were rusted in place REAL GOOD. SO I used a dental pick to clean out as much rust as I could from between the gears at the base of the float and slowly tapped on it and tryed to rotate the shaft while applying PB Blaster... I also applied a liberal amount to where the shaft goes into the sensor. After a few minutes it would slowing start rotate. After about 10 minutes it worked just like new!

I guess the moral of the story is... PB BLASTER is GOOD STUFF!!! HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!

Checked it with my Digital Volt Ohm Meter and it read from 0 to 300 ohms like it is supposed to! The PB blaster didn't effect the rheostat at all!

Other than that, it's time to sand and repaint, install and finish the Electric Fuel Pump install.

Enjoy!

Neil

Attachments

neil2007

What I did this last weekend... Project Update...

Here is the latest pics of progress on the 530B.

Project Update as of 10-16-07.

Final Summary:

1. Need to clean and repaint section of frame and gas tank supports on the truck.
2. Find a replacement for the pads (rubberized canvas) that keep the bands from rubbing through the tank.
3. Bolt the tank in place and work on running the electrcal for th new electric pump.

Enjoy!

Neil
(PS.... The welds are actually alot better than they look! )

Attachments

dmetalmiki

enthusiasm

have you looked at my 45 first rty out yet!?...You will ITCH to get the project finished..(i dont have the witt or inclination nowdays to "rebuild" vehicle..BUT mine ARE fully working and functional..a good represenation of the breeds. and I just LOVE driving my 530....gets the looks (specialy as I fitted a whistling turbo (it was a non turbo unit m/fuel)so..good luck with your project...I'm a watching from "afar" lol..dave.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks