• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953 Air Force M38A1

Sarge72

My wife inherited a 1953 M38A1 which we believe was Air Force. We looked all over it and can only find blue paint. It’s quite complete and we plan on having it restored this summer. Our biggest hurdle is trying find photos of USAF M 38A1’s to pull info from. We really want to restore this to the correct look for the year. My wife’s late father purchased the jeep in 1972 and she rode in it as a baby, but it got parked in 1976. It’s not much of a looker at the moment, but hopefully by next summer, it will be ready for some parades and shows.

Attachments

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Welcome to Steel Soldiers!

Check out the Forum and search around for some information on your M38. Looks like it has been under shelter for some time. Hopefully you and your wife plan on keeping and getting it moving with little effort.

If you try and get it started use another fuel source until you get the original fuel tank looked after.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you see the responsible agency plate says "US NAVY"?? I would first see it the serial number on the main data plate matches the Jeep, if it does you have a NAVY jeep that someone painted blue. Or a NAVY Jeep that happened to be blue for some reason. If the serial numbers don't match, then you most likely DO have a USAF Jeep. The hard top which is actually called "arctic enclosure" looks to be original military. I see a hot water heater in your picture which is a very rare accessory for a M38A1. Good luck with it, that is an excellent example to do a restoration on due to being hanger kept.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your paint color is AF STRATA BLUE . If you do a search you will find a 38A1 in the correct paint . I think done up they look great , just different look than OD .My m37 was ex AF and at one time was Strata Blue . good luck on the restoration and keep us posted

Sarge72

NDT, thank you for seeing what we did not. Where would I go to look it up the serial number? I’ve tried before, but always hit a dead end. The serial is MD27262.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
See if you can find this plate behind the driver's seat on the sponson. The serial will be there. Hopefully it will match MD51570. I think the MD27262 is suspect due to the data plate cluster board being green not blue. The serial is also on the engine by the water outlet neck, but it is more than likely not the original engine, so it will not match anything.

My 7 of 53 M38A1 is MD51130.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
NDT, thank you again. The jeep is about an hour away, so I will check it out the next time I’m up there. Probably sooner than later as I’m dying to find out the history of this jeep.
And to echo what @cucvmule already said - Welcome to the outfit!
Congratulations on the new-to-you truck too.

Really hoping to see more pictures as your restoration happens.

mutt1966

See if you can find this plate behind the driver's seat on the sponson. The serial will be there. Hopefully it will match MD51570. I think the MD27262 is suspect due to the data plate cluster board being green not blue. The serial is also on the engine by the water outlet neck, but it is more than likely not the original engine, so it will not match anything.

My 7 of 53 M38A1 is MD51130.
The data plate board will be green not blue, it was removed before painting, If you find the WILLYS plate behind the seat soak it in brake fluid you might get lucky, and it will take it down to the original white, Oh, and it might've been used by a CAP Squadron they painted a lot of them Strata Blue... Scott O&O

cobra5

Don't see any hood markings and it appears to have green paint under the blue so it was probably a civil air patrol jeep that originally came from the Great Lakes Naval training center if he purchased it in Illinois. The hinged grill and 45 degree front fender seams would put it at 1952-1953. I have a one with a serial number of 40732 dated 2/53. Double check the year on your data plate because your serial number is a lot earlier than mine so yours could be a 52. Look at the back end and see if you have tie down shackles hanging on both sides or at least the mounts. Hard to see in your photos but I believe it does which would make this a USMC jeep not USAF. Do you know why it got parked?

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't see any hood markings and it appears to have green paint under the blue so it was probably a civil air patrol jeep that originally came from the Great Lakes Naval training center if he purchased it in Illinois. The hinged grill and 45 degree front fender seams would put it at 1952-1953. I have a one with a serial number of 40732 dated 2/53. Double check the year on your data plate because your serial number is a lot earlier than mine so yours could be a 52. Look at the back end and see if you have tie down shackles hanging on both sides or at least the mounts. Hard to see in your photos but I believe it does which would make this a USMC jeep not USAF. Do you know why it got parked?
From post #1 : My wife inherited a 1953 M38A1 which we believe was Air Force. We looked all over it and can only find blue paint. It’s quite complete and we plan on having it restored this summer. Our biggest hurdle is trying find photos of USAF M 38A1’s to pull info from. We really want to restore this to the correct look for the year. My wife’s late father purchased the jeep in 1972 and she rode in it as a baby, but it got parked in 1976. It’s not much of a looker at the moment, but hopefully by next summer, it will be ready for some parades and shows.

Looks like 1976.

cobra5

From post #1 : My wife inherited a 1953 M38A1 which we believe was Air Force. We looked all over it and can only find blue paint. It’s quite complete and we plan on having it restored this summer. Our biggest hurdle is trying find photos of USAF M 38A1’s to pull info from. We really want to restore this to the correct look for the year. My wife’s late father purchased the jeep in 1972 and she rode in it as a baby, but it got parked in 1976. It’s not much of a looker at the moment, but hopefully by next summer, it will be ready for some parades and shows.

Looks like 1976.
I asked him WHY it got parked not WHEN. Lol

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
EXCELLENT observation on the rear USMC crossmember! That explains everything. The main data plate shows procurement "US NAVY" because that is who buys stuff for the Marines! The main data plate is indeed correct. You have a USMC Jeep.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks