• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953 M38A1 Serial Number location(s) ?

b17goinmyway

Hi, I just purchased a 1953 M38A1. The data plates are all still mounted on the dash panel except for one small square size plate located at the bottom center of the panel. The plate that listed the Date of Delivery and the serial number is still in place. Assuming that the data plates are original to this vehicle would the serial number be stamped anywhere else on the vehicle in particular the frame? thanks Dan

Maverick1701

Welcome & congrats on the new rig! Can you post some pictures? We like pictures of MVs

You noticed you joined in 2009 and only have 32 posts. That is pretty impressive.

the missing plate displays the winch controls.

To answer your serial# question, this is my go-to page for serial # location info: http://www.m38a1.com/registry/registry.htm
It has helped me out numerous times.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that Willys didn't stamp the frame while in production in Toledo. (someone correct me if the memory has failed me there)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
See if there is a VIN plate behind the drivers or passenger seat (forget which) on the angled surface of the sponson. There should be 4 holes. Only other place you will find it. My '53 is 51130.

b17goinmyway

Hi Maverick1701 / NDT, yes back in 09/10 I started working out of state and between my job and family I had no time for any of my hobbies. Unfortunately I had sold off most of my toys but did manage to keep a couple of M880's. I am no longer working out of state so am starting to get back into the world of MV's. Currently working on a 44 CCKW353 and now this 1953 M38A1. Thanks for the information from both of you. I just found the vin plate behind the drivers side. Right now it is covered in paint so I want to be careful removing the paint to see if the vin/serial number matches the one on the dash plate which so far denotes this vehicle with a DOD of 8/53 and a serial number of 56388. Looks like mine is a little younger than yours NDT. What is your DOD as that should give some idea on the daily or monthly production numbers. Although I am sure that information is well known. Here are some photos of my jeep which is still on the trailer. Just picked it up yesterday. The previous owner advised he had it running but only for a short time and noted possible sticking valves. He also noted it had a knock when they started it and found that a rod bearing was the problem which he replace. He said the bearing was a standard size. My first plan is to remove the wheels and tires which I got a set of M38A1 standard wheels for relacement. Get it running and put the suspension back to stock height. Eventually do a full restoration back to 1953 Military configuration. Love the M38A1 web site that you noted Maverick. Thanks Guys. Here are some photo of the jeep. Dan

April 10 2017 058.jpg

b17goinmyway

Photos of my 53 M38A1

A few more. The rebuild tag in one of the photos if mounted on the steering gear box. Looks like a rebuild at Fort Benning, Ga back in 66. Can assume the jeep was stationed their or at least the gear box was at that time.

April 10 2017 057.jpg April 10 2017 051.jpg April 10 2017 056.jpg April 10 2017 049.jpg April 10 2017 050.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the year is correct, the Jeep has the hinged grille. Mine is 5/53 which translates to roughly 65 Jeeps per day off the line, sounds right. Good luck with fixing it, needs a good sandblasting.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somebody put a flat fender radiator in there and whacked off the back of the grille where radiator is supposed to mount. The Jeep parts vendors are going to love you, ask for quantity discounts, I think I see 5K in parts you need for that one. Mine looked almost the same when I got it. It's best not to keep a running total on parts.

b17goinmyway

Good eye, I do not have enough knowledge to be able to make that kind of accessment. Thanks for the info, I can see the cut part on the back of the grille in the photo. I agree that probably best not to keep a running total on the parts. Will have to spread that 5K over a few years. later.

thatguy4528

Mine is also a 53, May of 53 to be exact. Just got mine, can't wait to start to play with it. It runs, but the brake lines have to be replaced. I'll have to post pictures of mine when I can.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is also a 53, May of 53 to be exact. Just got mine, can't wait to start to play with it. It runs, but the brake lines have to be replaced. I'll have to post pictures of mine when I can.
Welcome to the forum. Comprehensive pre-bent brake line kits are available from several of the Jeep parts vendors, or you can make your own with auto parts store lengths they have available.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks