• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953 M51 found

Wyattearp

Are any of you guys familiar with this truck, its a 5 ton with a gasser, now sure what engine though. I found the truck at a junk yard, the cab and window frames are shot but the engine still runs, the guy was told that the head gasket had blown but i checked the oil and its showing nothing but clear clean oil, could it be still blown and just blowing exhaust out the side.
The truck was a dump but the bed is gone and a 5th wheel plate welded on the frame as it was used to move trailers at a sawmill. its has 1481 hrs on engine and 14285 miles on the odometer. Did this truck have power steering cause it sure looked like a PS unit on the side where the steering linkage was. If anyone can enlighten me on this truck it would be greatful, and would this engine be worth getting ahold of, like i said i was unable to get anything off the engine for all the oil and sawdust buildup...

Would any of you 5 ton guys know what type gas engine that might be and if it would be worth the trouble of getting, also the truck has all axles and differentials along with transfer cases, drive shafts ect....

Thanks in advance.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Humble reply from new member:

I have a '62 M51. It has the Continental R6602 gas engine - might be the same as the one you've spotted.
Dump Bed was also removed before me.

According to some literature I have:
Displacement : 602 cu. in.
Bore and Stroke: 4 7/8 x 5 3/8
Compression Ratio:6.4:1
Brake Horsepower: 196 @ 2800 rpm

It doesn't seem as popular or as desirable as the multi-fuel engines, but I have no diesel experience - so I figured it would be easier for me to repair.

It also has power steering, which I believe was standard on most (all?)

I will have the correct tm manual soon if you have any specific questions.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That R6602 might be a gas hog but man does it have torque. Except for the fuel economy, great engines.

Wyattearp

Hey there Junkyard i appreciate the info about it, like i said the truck is pretty much shot except for engine and drivetrain and axles. I saw the powersteering unit, that thing is huge!.
I agree that engine is probably a Gas hog for sure I thought the multifuel was big but thats one heck of a gas engine for sure, Hmmmm would make a good emergency backup unit, sorry i tend to talk out of my head sometimes LOL [:)] .... I have along with the diesel disease i have this MV truck addiction sometimes they get crossed... :yeah:

rdixiemiller

The only manual I could find on the Govt. website is the parts book for the R6602.
TM 9-2805-203-34P Direct and general support level maintenance, parts & special tools, Continental R6602
I have it on the 5 Ton CD I compiled, but I can't find any other info on them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks