• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1955 m38a1

Ajax MD

A friend is fixing up a CJ-5. I sent him photos of your jeep to show him what he *should* be doing. ;)

jnissen

Thanks for the comments. I’m sure my son will enjoy them. He is a bit of perfectionist and this was his first vehicle rebuild. I hadn’t done one in about 30 years! We will have to post a pic or two of the before shot. Think drug out of a field and very rough. Saved running gear, fuel tank, rear springs, and either replaced or rebuilt everything else. Got lucky as engine was rebuilt back in 1961 according to tags. Does not smoke and was very clean inside when inspected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jnissen

Gillespie Coatings #24087 semi gloss olive drab. More earthy looking but period correct. Sprayed with 3M Accuspray using the orange 1.4mm head. Reduced 5:1 paint to Xylene.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gillespie is fine as long as you don't leave the Jeep out in the weather. Which I doubt you will after spending $10,000 on the restoration.

jnissen

Gillespie is fine as long as you don't leave the Jeep out in the weather. Which I doubt you will after spending $10,000 on the restoration.
Didn’t see this earlier. The Gillespie is fine if it’s cured well. We had the frame out in the rain after spraying and water spots were annoying. We found that if the paint cures for about a month your good to go. Had it out Veterans Day in the rain. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

67Beast

Gillespie is usually fine out in the weather, it's the Aervoe paint that doesn't do well when left outside, it tends to fade to pink. I painted my M715 with Gillespie in 2004 and it still looks great today and painted my deuce in 2005 and it had to spend a summer outdoor while I built a new barn a couple of years ago and it still looks decent.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks