• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1962 5 ton price

sermis

I was not able to get pic’s. NSN#23208358331. It is a 1962 W/W 5 ton dump with the gas motor. Soft top frame. Floor has very little rust. Hood is dented from being walked on. It has been sitting for 15 years or so. Rats in air cleaner and maybe carb. Front axel is on the ground from sitting so long. I know it ran when parked because I drove it before it was traded off for a 40’ drop deck trailer. Fenders, running boards, dump bed, etc all look in good shape. Small dents but nothing major.
Any idea on value?

papercu

price

As is where is price is:
number of pounds x price of scrap steel in area to start.
Sitting for 15 years, engine might just be a big boat anchor. Wayne

sermis

RE: price

I thought about that but multi fuel replacement won't be that hard to do or maybe a cat..........

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter

i would base my price on what they are selling them for on GL. with that it dont look all that good for a gasser. thinking maybe 1000.00 at best. but i dont know that much about the dump truck part and the pump that is on it. so it might bring a little more Tim

area52

Heck, in parts alone its probably worth $2000 assuming its got the pto and stuff still attached.

It all depends on how bad you want it and how bad the guy wants to sell it.

lacoda56

$2000 for parts from a gas 5 ton that's been sitting for 15 years? You gotta be dreamin' dude! $500 to $1000 tops if the box and hoist are in useable condition. 15 years in the elements does a lot of damage not to mention it's 45 years old in the first place.

derby

RE: prices

$2000 in parts? well maybe. 4-6 hrs screwing around to get it home @$60 hr. $240-$360, fuel $100,fill Oxy and Acc.torch $75,16-20 more hours of your time $960-$1200,fuel for what ever you are using to tear it apart $100.grand total $1475-$1835 invested plus cost of truck,headaches,P.O. old lady .What is it worth? I would not pay more than $500 .I have done the parts truck thing ,still in the hole! any one need parts? :p

lacoda56

Not trying to upset anyone, but there's a big difference in what something's worth in parts and what you should be willing to pay for it "as is". I think most of us are guilty of this, myself included. We see a vehicle that's obviously been sitting for years, probably had some major reason for being parked in the first place, but we gotta have it. We're sure we can get the purchase price out of it in salvage/parts, no problem. By the time we invest the labor and money needed to get it home and dismantled, unless you have a salvage yard as a family business, you can't begin to break even. And if you're real lucky, someone from the local municipality shows to tell you to clean up and get rid of everything except licensed vehicles or face up to $100 a day fine, and a $500 parts truck can be too expensive! aua

steelandcanvas

Some very good points brought up...however a motor that sets for 15 years might not be a boat anchor. I've restored motors that sat alot longer. If you don't get out of it what you put in it, who cares? I don't think any of us are in this to make a profit. Do what makes you happy, enjoy yourself and the time you have here.

area52

As stated above, a 15 year old motor can be brought back to life.

As far as parts for $2000, heck the axles alone I can sell for $500 each so theres $1500. Winch with pto and driveline and lever can probably get more than $500.

I don't want to part trucks but just saying if you did and had the right equipment you can get that out of it.

lacoda56

Man, I want you guys working for me! You charge nothing for labor? And where'd the 15 year old motor come from? He said it had been sitting for 15 years! Yeah, I know stuff that's been sitting for years can be brought to life, that's not the point. The man asked what it'd be worth. Why would this truck be worth way more than its civilian counterpart? I feel that we need to look at these trucks in a little more realistic terms and not always be willing to pay outrageous prices just because it's od green. Anyone that doubts this, just try to buy a cheap John Deere tractor. A classic example of a hobby gotten completely out of hand. If we're not so willing to pay the high prices, believe me, the price will come down! It's only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. A 45 year old truck that's been sitting for 15 years isn't, nor should it be worth a whole lot. A lot of parts prices have been thrown around here, assumeing the parts are even useable. I don't see why any of us should be estimating values at the upper end of the price range when none of us have a clue as to condition of the truck. My point is lets be a little conservative with telling other people what something's worth.

sermis

Well I was thinking $500 - $800. Around $650 for scrap. I got a phone call from the owner. I is a very rare truck and the bed will dump stright up. I would have to get $2,500.00 for it. I DON'T THINK SO....thank you bye.............

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks