• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1970 Deuce Brake & Air problem

rsites

Not sure what caused this issue to occur.
One of the two Air Tanks under my Deuce, 1970, sprung a leak. Got a new one and replaced the bad as I thought I should. Disconnected the hold down brackets on the two tanks. Drained them of course, and disconnected all the lines between the two. Put the new one on and reconnected everything. Looks good, non leaks around the tanks. Pressure gauge in cab holds steady when system is charged. I did notice after draining the new tank the first time it had a good bit of an oily substance in it. Charged and drained several times and both tanks drain clear now when discharged.

Here's the problem, which didn't really exist prior to changing tanks. When I step on the brake pedal now, it goes all the way to the floor. It does brake, but only when the pedal is on the floor, and the brakes squeal a lot now when stopping. Didn't do that before either. They would squeal a little sometimes, but not like this. Did I do something wrong, or missing something when changing the tank?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd suspect coincidence. Although the air is used for braking, it's only a power assist. If you weren't getting air the pedal would be hard as a rock. Sounds like you need to be checking the BFS level and such. I'd suspect you are low on brake fluid at least. Remember it's BFS (Brake Fluid, Silione)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks