• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

*1990 M998A0 Refresh*

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
*snip*

The next big choice is tires. Since, I plan to drive this quite often, I really want some decent, newer dated coded tires. Whether they are MT, MTR, Baja, or whatever.
The main thing that concerns me, is that I can rely on the two piece, 12 bolt rims.
I'd hate to be up in the mountains, with a slow air leak and can't get back home.
If anyone has any thoughts on wheels and tires, I'd appreciate it.

*snip*
For tires I bought from Feltz. Great customer service, and you can buy tires with guaranteed date codes and 100% tread for a pretty good price.

mow***com

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, for the replies everyone. Yesterday wasn't really meant to be the day that it drove. I just figured that I would see if it wanted to go.
That being said, there are plenty of things to verify before throwing my hands up in the air.

The transmission shift linkage was already hooked up and I never touched it. That is why I had assumed it "hooked up". If I hadn't been fighting daylight, I would have had more time for inspections and adjustments.
Today is another day, so I will see what I can find out.

Today, I need to charge the batteries, check the alternator regulator and consider a move there. I still need to verify correct charging to the system.
As said in my previous post, nearly every fluid has been replaced, aside from power steering fluid and the brake fuild.
Today, I am trying to pick up a few parts that could finish the engine area. So, I will stay tuned later this afternoon.

mow***com

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, after filling up the transmission again, the truck wanted to drive. I just took it down the street, to inspect the recent work.
Over the next few weeks, I will do more, so I can feel better about longer distances. Much appreciated, to all for your patience. Sometimes, I can get ahead of myself. I am still just learning how to fly.

In the next few weeks, I will update with odds and ends. Getting it on the road is only the beginning of the adventure :)

Attachments

mow***com

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So... Fun update. I was working on the truck, put the former A pillar bracket for the soft top on. I wish it glided through a bit better, but it is just a top. They are easily replaceable, if it just sits on my brain forever.
The little DOT turnbuckles arrived. Trying to decide whether to tap and add screws, or re-rivet. We will see.....

Went to fill it up with some fresh diesel, partly to get more fuel and get the cooling system up to temperature.
It pretty much sat at around 190°, after I came back.
Then, I decided for a longer drive. Before the longer drive, I blew out the radiator and oil cooler for quite a bit. So much dust and many leaves... It was pretty crazy how much dirt/dust had gotten in between the fins.

Well, I head out on my drive. 2 spare tires in the back, a 2 ton pump jack along side them, and all the tools to get me going, if something were to happen.
About 10 minutes into the journey, the temp starts climbing in the 200 range. Before I set out, the numbers 210-215 were in my head to consider a shutdown.
I had been reading a little about HMMWV temps and just didn't want to get past the point of no return.
In reality, we are just testing to see if the cooling system holds.

I had already purchased a thermostat and it was sitting on my shelf.
Just out of extra security, early this morning, I went to work early and decided to toss it in. Filled up the extra coolant, ran it without its cap for a minute and went on about my business.

Back to the longer drive.... So, I am seeing the temp gauge go above 200 and it starts to get my attention. (I know these gauges aren't that reliable).
So, I see it climb to 210 and then around 215. 215 is about as high as I saw during my entire ride.
I'm unsure how long this engine had been sitting, but I assume it has been sitting long enough.
During the time that I had the hood up, I didn't see the fans switch off, so that is likely my next task, along with lights.

So, I made it home and saw the temp gauge as low as even 195ish during the drive. So, my eyes are on the goofy gauges and I am enjoying every minute of driving the truck.
Went to get some kitty litter and it drives as solid as my 82 flatbed. Hopefully, it just keeps getting better and better.

Attachments

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So... Fun update. I was working on the truck, put the former A pillar bracket for the soft top on. I wish it glided through a bit better, but it is just a top. They are easily replaceable, if it just sits on my brain forever.
The little DOT turnbuckles arrived. Trying to decide whether to tap and add screws, or re-rivet. We will see.....

Went to fill it up with some fresh diesel, partly to get more fuel and get the cooling system up to temperature.
It pretty much sat at around 190°, after I came back.
Then, I decided for a longer drive. Before the longer drive, I blew out the radiator and oil cooler for quite a bit. So much dust and many leaves... It was pretty crazy how much dirt/dust had gotten in between the fins.

Well, I head out on my drive. 2 spare tires in the back, a 2 ton pump jack along side them, and all the tools to get me going, if something were to happen.
About 10 minutes into the journey, the temp starts climbing in the 200 range. Before I set out, the numbers 210-215 were in my head to consider a shutdown.
I had been reading a little about HMMWV temps and just didn't want to get past the point of no return.
In reality, we are just testing to see if the cooling system holds.

I had already purchased a thermostat and it was sitting on my shelf.
Just out of extra security, early this morning, I went to work early and decided to toss it in. Filled up the extra coolant, ran it without its cap for a minute and went on about my business.

Back to the longer drive.... So, I am seeing the temp gauge go above 200 and it starts to get my attention. (I know these gauges aren't that reliable).
So, I see it climb to 210 and then around 215. 215 is about as high as I saw during my entire ride.
I'm unsure how long this engine had been sitting, but I assume it has been sitting long enough.
During the time that I had the hood up, I didn't see the fans switch off, so that is likely my next task, along with lights.

So, I made it home and saw the temp gauge as low as even 195ish during the drive. So, my eyes are on the goofy gauges and I am enjoying every minute of driving the truck.
Went to get some kitty litter and it drives as solid as my 82 flatbed. Hopefully, it just keeps getting better and better.
215-220 is normal operating range. If it goes above 230 then you can start to worry, but below that you'll drive yourself insane chasing issues that don't exist trying to keep it running at lower temps than it's designed for.

mow***com

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a little to report these days... I am chasing the constant running fan situation at the moment. To be quite honest, the entire system will be gone through soon enough. But, it will take some troubleshooting time.

I decided to remove the troop seats, for the moment. Unsure, if it will be a permanent thing, but I always enjoyed a good 2dr.
Plus, the extended brushguard bothered me a bit. Mostly, because I could see it bobbing up and down, it made me uneasy(Of course, it is just in my head, but I have to live in my head).

Interesting update... So, I just put a deposit down on an M1123, with a 6.5 and a 4 speed.
It is a project that will take some time, but happy to have a heavy variant among my trucks.

I decided for a snorkel intake set up, for the M998, but it is just mostly for show. I have no intention of making this truck capable of fording up to its snoot. It just looks a little more tough and it suits what I am going for.
Found a radio tray and that will get installed tomorrow.

After check and check with the headlights, I picked up a used set, complete with everything needed. Of course, the headlights work and it was just the buckets/beams the previous owner had tried.
Part of me believes that the PO was using 12 volt headlights, but I didn't check yet.

Well, stay tuned. There should always be something in the mix. Mowsy

Attachments

mow***com

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, another day of fun. Yesterday, I got up early, went into work, so I could take out the alternator. The local shop had quoted me around $200(which is more than I have ever paid to repair any alternator), but I really wanted a sufficient charging system.
Sadly, the local generator company was bought out and it is an entirely different outfit.
Well, I just got a quote this morning at $550, with aftermarket parts.

It is days like this, where it makes me a bit sad that there is no competition in my city for rebuilding an alternator.
So, rather than pay that, I will just learn how to rebuild the alternator myself.

After all, what is the point of living anyway. I guess a guy has got to learn how to do everything along the way.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC you have a 60A alternator, this is one you can repair yourself, new brushes and a new regulator ass. fix 99.9% of that alternators issues, You should be able to fix it for under $200

mow***com

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay... Update. I was going to start sourcing parts to fix it myself, but the ears have multiple fine hair line cracks and I've decided to take another route.
A local builder, who has been awesome to me, sold me a good tested unit for not wildly much more than I could rebuild one for.
So, I took that route and am happy to report that I have a fully charging system.

Also, my cooling system and fan system are working as they should.
The one thing that has been bothering me was the rattling. So, I took out the radio tray, doghouse, and noticed that about 2% on the bracket to the rear end was attached. It was smacking into the exhaust manifold bolt area and creating a lovely noise section.
I will eventually re weld it and fix it properly. But, I just temporarily bent it out of the way enough, so I can't hear it.

The truck has come along way since the day it arrived. The miles are starting to stack up and I am enjoying using the truck as a truck.
I did opt for some H1 wheels and some surplus MT/R tires. It was the most cost effective way for me to have serviceable wheels at most tire stores.
When I sell the truck, it will sell with the wheels that originally came on it. The H1 wheels will go with whatever truck that I am currently driving.

I may have an opportunity to buy an ECV truck in the next few months.
So, I may be selling this one to fund that project.
The only problem is.... I really like the simplicity of this truck. Some part of me feels like I will be chasing TCM problems and extra wiring faults with a turbo/4 speed truck.
But, another part of me really wants to build up a turbo truck and not look back.
All parts of me wishes that I could keep both. But, sometimes life only let's a new dream happen, when you have finished the dream you are already in.

Attachments

mow***com

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mostly a fun update... I awoke this morning and saw some fresh snow.
Decided that I would take it for a spin, but ended up on a little drive.

Gotta be quite honest, the handling characteristics are a little interesting. Even before I went into the mountains, I had already gained some preconceived notion that it drives sort of like an old Jeep CJ.
The steering feels pretty dang quick, for what it is.
My other truck is a 1982 Dodge Ram50 (w/ turbo diesel, manual trans, rear lsd, front lockers) and the humvee just feels almost erratic in comparison.
To be more frank, it feels almost like a big ass 4wheeler, with a round steering wheel.
Going up the mountain, I used H, mostly because I hate driveline shock after slippage and already knew the canyon, blasting up a bit.
On the way down, I used HL and just let gravity do the work.

But, aside from direct winter conditions, it feels odd driving above 55-60mph on the interstate(not aspahult). Kinda squirrely, when certain lines are introduced.
I do have the MT/R and partly believe it is due to the tires, plus spring rate.
My steering and suspension aren't perfect, but they dont feel so out of spec, where I felt that new bushing everywhere would have improved this in a significant push.

Wild to see the temp gauge hit 220, hear the fan, even in the cold of winter.
It was mostly going uphill and it was a mountain, so it is understandable.

All in all. I really enjoy the truck. Do I get work work and somehow have a wet leg, yes. Does water magically end up everywhere, yes. But, I can't think of a more fun experience for my time.
I will update this as I get some time. Also, I will eventually hook up the rear marker lights. Grrrr.

Attachments

peggrw

Wild to see the temp gauge hit 220, hear the fan, even in the cold of winter.
It was mostly going uphill and it was a mountain, so it is understandable.
Have only had my M1097 for a couple months, and was also playing in the snow for the first time. Would keep at 190F on flat ground in the fields without the fan engaging but going up the long mountain driveway at higher rpms it would quickly push to 210F. It's good to confirm the engine runs warm even when the outside temp is well below freezing.

20240106_140108.jpg

mow***com

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update: 2/2/24.

Alright... I wanted to give an update on my thread. First off, I have enjoyed my Humvee adventures so far and feel like I'd like to stay with the platform.
Second, I have just put over 1000 miles on the M998 and the engine really feels good. I pretty much just feed it diesel and it goes.
However, I think I may have outgrown the 6.2/3 speed, I only drive max speed 55mph, but it just takes a bit longer to get places. I think it is time to move the M998 along, for something else.

So, having said that, I was finally able to wrap up the M1123 deal.
It is on the property and came with a state title.
It is a 1999 M1123 A2 that has 40ish k miles, with a 6.5 and a 4L80E. It looks a little rough around the edges, but I already have my own vision to at least get it up and becoming my next driver.
It is a runner, but will need every but of the fuel system gone over, plus the transmission, hubs and everything in between.

I may just continue this thread, but I will figure that out later.
I am thinking to build the M1123 as a 4dr truck. Unsure, if I will go hardtop/ hard doors or soft top/ soft doors.
I do have access to a used slantback kit, but I am unsure if I want that for this truck.
Eventually, it would be nice to pick up and ECV truck, but the M11 certainly offers options.
Here are the two, side by side. Army vs USMC.

Attachments

mow***com

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This might be the last set of updates for the M998. I'd appreciate any thoughts, as I keep mulling it all over in my head.
First. I may have a trade offer for the 1990 M998.
It will require that I put up some cash (~2k, but I will keep my wheels and 2 man top/doors kit, for a later build.

The trade would be for some used PlanB hard X type doors, a used PlanB hardtop and a used PlanB window slantback kit(w/ everything needed to mount it).
Plus a 6.5 NA engine (~4k miles), 4 speed transmission and a transfer case.

This is where this get a little tricky and puts me in an interesting position.
Now, why would I have any use for an extra power train and drive train?

Well... Next week, I may be picking up an M998 roller (no power train or drive train) and have been thinking of building it up with the 6.5, 4 speed, and adding the transfer case.
This is a pretty big project for me, so I am still in the early thought process on pulling the trigger.
I just think I may have more room to run, with a roller and a solid 6.5/4 speed P/D train vs a 6.2/3 speed.

My biggest problem is leaving myself too skinny to finish both trucks in a reasonable time frame.
So, I will think it over this weekend and see if I can make it work.
Thanks, to everyone who have helped me get this far.
For years, I had been wanting to get into the HMMWV platform. Like most things, I should have made it happen earlier.

mow***com

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright... Small update for this truck, then I will continue with the other thread.
Well, the trade deal is done. Although, I had an idea that I passed along and was hoping the seller might accept.
Instead of trading my recently finished M998, I was able to trade my project 1994 M998A1 roller that I just purchased, plus some cash on top, for the slantback kit and hard doors.
The seller was an absolute gentleman. He also included the back piece that also converts it to a standard 4 door hardtop, with rear window.

That being said... I will just be finishing up a few things on the 1990 M998A0, then listing it for sale in the coming weeks.
Thanks, to everyone who helped along with the first truck. It has been a pleasure being here and I am excited to continue the journey. Enjoy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks