• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1991 M998 Surging

fpchief

I am not located near my HMMWV right now, but I wanted to go ahead and ask this question so I can get a game plan. It is new to me, and at idle, it will do some surging. The voltmeter will go down to low yellow, and you can hear it in the engine. This will continue every few seconds unless you step on the accelerator. Not finding much info on this. Would this be more of an alternator issue? It cranks and runs just fine.

Very Respectfully,
Kip

orgnal

I am not located near my HMMWV right now, but I wanted to go ahead and ask this question so I can get a game plan. It is new to me, and at idle, it will do some surging. The voltmeter will go down to low yellow, and you can hear it in the engine. This will continue every few seconds unless you step on the accelerator. Not finding much info on this. Would this be more of an alternator issue? It cranks and runs just fine.

Very Respectfully,
Kip
Is it soon after starting? Does it settle down after a couple of minutes? If yes, it is the glow plugs that are still cycling and it is normal.

McReddy

fpchief

McReddy, Ya know, after driving those things thousands of miles you would think that I would have remembered that they will cycle like that. I am sure that is what is going on, if not I will let you know. Been about 20 years since I have messed with a M998, and I am really glad I have one now.