• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1998 M1079 alignment, mirrors

Bryteayes

The steering wheel on my M1079 has about a 20 degree roataion to it as I drive straight. The truck drives well, just steering wheel rotated. Any suggestions on how to align the monster front end?

The mirrors are constantly being blown into different positions rendering them useless. What have you used as replacements?

Does anyone have a great way to remove the white paintstick marking on the front of the cab?

Lostchain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The steering wheel on my M1079 has about a 20 degree roataion to it as I drive straight. The truck drives well, just steering wheel rotated. Any suggestions on how to align the monster front end?

The mirrors are constantly being blown into different positions rendering them useless. What have you used as replacements?

Does anyone have a great way to remove the white paintstick marking on the front of the cab?
The steering wheel issue is common as the military locks them up with a chain. If it’s driving straight then simply pop the center cap to reveal the nut and remove the steering wheel with a common puller and clock it correctly. You can also take that time to inspect the turn signal canceling ring to make sure that works.

My mirrors flopped around too from the wind until I cranked the hell out of the top and bottom mount, and they have been OK ever since.

I just left the white paint, I’d be interested in hearing something that easily removes it, otherwise I’ll leave it to time…

Ronmar

well you could adjust the drag link between steering box and left wheel, but might be easier to pull and re-align the steering wheel…

whats moving the arm or the mirror head? Not a fan of the pivots and breakaway config on the arms, but if you look closely at the top of the door, you will see it is already tapped at another location convenient for adding a support strut for the arm…

Bryteayes

well you could adjust the drag link between steering box and left wheel, but might be easier to pull and re-align the steering wheel…

whats moving the arm or the mirror head? Not a fan of the pivots and breakaway config on the arms, but if you look closely at the top of the door, you will see it is already tapped at another location convenient for adding a support strut for the arm…
The arms and the mirrors move. I like the idea of an additional support strut.

Ronmar

The arms and the mirrors move. I like the idea of an additional support strut.
The bottom bracket is supposed to have grooves in it that match up with teeth on the flattened end on the arm, and held in place by that spring and bolt. If you clean them up and perhaps restore the teeth, it may set in place better, but as suggested, torque em down… been looking for a better alternative breakaway but haven't found it yet, so will probably have to build it myself:) some have switched to single point truck mirrors(freightliner cascadia?) but everyone I have talked to has had to do some pretty substantial door skin additions/reenforcement to keep them from vibrating and stressing the door skins. But you get power adjust and heat out of the deal and they look good and fold easier than our over torqued arms…

Bryteayes

The bottom bracket is supposed to have grooves in it that match up with teeth on the flattened end on the arm, and held in place by that spring and bolt. If you clean them up and perhaps restore the teeth, it may set in place better, but as suggested, torque em down… been looking for a better alternative breakaway but haven't found it yet, so will probably have to build it myself:) some have switched to single point truck mirrors(freightliner cascadia?) but everyone I have talked to has had to do some pretty substantial door skin additions/reenforcement to keep them from vibrating and stressing the door skins. But you get power adjust and heat out of the deal and they look good and fold easier than our over torqued arms…
I might have to look into them

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks