• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1st time owner joy to sadness. Coolant in oil

tage

Water pump was bad. There was a steady leak out of the seep hole. When I took the belts off, there was a lot of movement back and forth. Pump is the source of the leak. I have no intentions of getting something more "user friendly" as you say. Just because I made a mistake doesn't mean I'm not sold on my H1.

Thanks for the help.
oh man...
the pulley had play?

Enjoy your H1! :tank:

DCIV

You made a mistake, you owned up to it, that doesn't mean you should sell your vehicle that means your an honest Internet guy. You could have lied and moved forward. Kudos for being honest, fixing the vehicle, and continue using it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You made a mistake, you owned up to it, that doesn't mean you should sell your vehicle that means your an honest Internet guy. You could have lied and moved forward. Kudos for being honest, fixing the vehicle, and continue using it.
But it could have been avoided by reading -10 TM , but that is a owners personal choice on whether they want to educate themselves on there new to them truck. But as seen in this thread not reading it has the potential of some very costly repairs , hopefully this thread has motivated OP and other readers of this thread to use the TM's. With the 2 to 3 months waiting for a EUC to clear there is plenty of time to educate yourself on your vehicle of choice.
So now hopefully there will be no lasting major damage ,the OP can enjoy is new toy. He is bound to take a flaming , but has owned up to his mistake now he can move on and help future members from doing something similar.

:doghead:
TM's for the M998 series :doghead:

Last edited:

big block 88

No harm is intended with these comments. You have to understand this site lately has been inundated with NEW HUMVEE OWNERS. These guys are buying these trucks and know NOTHING about vehicles period let alone a machine of war that is more complicated. There is an AMAZING search function that if you learn how to use will answer most of your questions. And of course the dreaded TM. This site has them all available for free download they need to be read and studied i bet you will be surprised by what you learn about your new toy.

You put water in the oil fill, i understand mistakes but i have never even looked at the oil filler and thought hmmmm, yep thats where the water goes. Also you say you got on the highway and ran XX M.P.H. well, cool i guess? You understand thats a 3 speed and a diesel that hates to rev? Youre lucky you didnt window the block.... Not to mention that truck was NEVER intended to do that speed. Isnt there placards in the cab on the dash, or doghouse stating max speed? There is in the -10... do you know the speed rating of the tires? How old are the tires? Have you checked the date codes on them? Have you checked your diff levels? Trans level? Tansfercase level? Do you know how to do any of that?

Ive seen new owners argue with a seasoned and experienced military vehicle owner over the differentials used in the humvees and how to lock the axles using brake modulation.

Im waiting for the post about how to change the spark plugs comes up or how to change wiper blades.

The thing is this....MV's arent really meant for a person who doesnt know or understand vehicles. These arent trucks you drive down to your local used car dealer and pick up snd just wing it.... you are going to hurt someone maybe yourself even worse a loved one or a complete stanger....

DCIV

Porky,
Your not wrong. Let me give a little insight though. I use to be an advance tech mod on a car forum for over 8 years. Over the time the cars got cheaper...more new owners bought them. Same problems that had been talked about and gone over 1 million times. That doesn't stop others from askin the same question that was just asked. It just doesn't stop them. I don't care if you told them to read this one page and you would never have a question....the next person signs up and asks the EXACT same question.

With the price of these things, with how cool they are...you will repeat yourself more often then it is just easier to answer the question and then the community is nicer instead of that forum that is just hateful.

Just my .02

big block 88

Because everyone has feelings and deserves a safe place where they are free to be lazy and have everyone solve things for them and have no intention of learning or bettering their knowledge. But thats ok at the end of the day EVERYONE GETS A TROPHY!!!!!!!!

reading the -10 at the least should be advocated by the sellers. Im thinking even a quick test should be implemented to test for common knowledge on the vehicles safety features or lack there of.

Last edited:

Awol

(I mean this in the best possible way. I just can't resist...)

Not to be confused with H1
That pink thing isn't an H1, it's an H2.

This thread certainly delivered OP! Nice to see you manned up and admitted you screwed up. I've seen countless people across all types of automotive forums who have clearly screwed something up, and the refuse to admit it.

I'm sure you'll get endless amounts of enjoyment from your new Humvee! Just promise us they'll be no more 70mph blasts up the highway lol

Action

I wonder if you could hook up a vacuum to the oil system. just like with the a/c. The water would turn to gas and get sucked out.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, I'm a very savvy and smart person but sometimes impulsive. I realize the mistakes I've made on impulse. Thanks for the help here and a little ribbing is in order.
Just came up with a brilliant idea to get the residual water out of the motor.
On somewhat of a bright note distilled water will do less damage than anti-frezze to the internals .

davykeith

That pink thing isn't an H1, it's an H2.

This thread certainly delivered OP! Nice to see you manned up and admitted you screwed up. I've seen countless people across all types of automotive forums who have clearly screwed something up, and the refuse to admit it.

I'm sure you'll get endless amounts of enjoyment from your new Humvee! Just promise us they'll be no more 70mph blasts up the highway lol
Yes, only 60 MPH for me. Love this thing I'm hooked.

dmetalmiki

I did not post adverse comments..( I woudn't really anyway)..because I was having a real laughing session..( and absalutely Refuse to tell you (all)). I drove out of the shop today.....AGAIN!.....
With the shop charger IN TOW!.
Welcome (to being human) the hobby, friendshipe, and events to come.

davykeith

I did not post adverse comments..( I woudn't really anyway)..because I was having a real laughing session..( and absalutely Refuse to tell you (all)). I drove out of the shop today.....AGAIN!.....
With the shop charger IN TOW!.
Welcome (to being human) the hobby, friendshipe, and events to come.
When I first bought it, I fueled up with Diesel, thank God I wasn't in impulse mode and put gas in it. I'm not that stupid but well you know. I gave the cashier my card as it didn't have pay at the pump. I fueled her up and blasted out of there. Later that day I was looking for my card...I also once drove away in my tahoe with the gas nozzle still in the tank. Ripped it off the pump and gas was gushing out everywhere. Needless to say I don't leave the pump unattended any longer. I'm the king of doing stupid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks