• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 12V devices in series for a 24V drop?

Mario

I tried posting this in electrical forum, but post doesn't show up.

Guys, it's been a while since my DeVry school days, but shouldn't I be able to wire two identical devices in series and get 12V drop on each one on the M998 24VDC system?I'm thinking of getting some drink holders for example and seen that I could get some LED illuminated ones: EBAY LINK

If memory serves correctly, I should get equal drop for each load. Here is a quick google picture for voltage drop on DC series circuit:
00436.png

Last edited by a moderator:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, at least Kirchhoff said so :)

Where you might run into trouble is if the identical devices draw different currents during their startup period, light spotlights, etc. You should be fine with low draw LED's. My 2c.

EE here...
short answer: yes, should be fine

longer answer: LEDs tend to like being put in series, they are often built this way inside single devices. so putting two of those in series to get to 24v should be no problem. They have internal limiting resistors to make them play nicely anyway. As tennmogger said, this does not apply once you get to two slightly different devices. the current draw (or the equivalent resistance in your diagram) will change, and one will get much more than 12v, and the other much less.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Mario please in the future do not include Ebay or auction links in your threads. Thanks in advance.
• Do NOT post links to current eBay auctions or Craig's List ads that are not your own. You may post a link to your own auction/ad only if it is in an information/discussion thread about your vehicle/item. Do not start a post in the Conversations forum or your vehicle specific forum just to announce your auction/ad.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yeah and

TotalRvalue = 22.5kohm
I = 2ma
E3-2 = 10V
E3-4 = 20V
E1-4 = 15V

snowtrac nome

also remember you need an isolated ground some items ground through the mounting base say like off road lights in this event it will be difficult to wire.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks