• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 12v or 1 24v Battery Tender?

fireman5214

This is what the battery connections look like and I also took a picture of the dual 12-volt alternators. Is this how everyone else's truck batteries are set up?

1580244778578.png
1580244795752.png

CBrinker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what the battery connections look like and I also took a picture of the dual 12-volt alternators. Is this how everyone else's truck batteries are set up?

View attachment 789143
View attachment 789144
Looks like all the ones I’ve seen. The only difference I see is maybe an extra wire coming off the back battery. I’m not close to a truck to check right now, but if my memory is right, stock there was only 2 wires/cables to that terminal, not 3. I would guess it’s just for an accessory that has been hooked up sometime along the way

fireman5214

Looks like all the ones I’ve seen. The only difference I see is maybe an extra wire coming off the back battery. I’m not close to a truck to check right now, but if my memory is right, stock there was only 2 wires/cables to that terminal, not 3. I would guess it’s just for an accessory that has been hooked up sometime along the way
3rd wire goes to the LED light bar. Thank you for the help. Also the block against the firewall where all the wires are connected to, barely can see it in the picture behind the upper battery, Is that a block to isolate voltage to 12v from 24v or what? We are not 100% sure.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The power distribution block on the firewall has 24 volts (+) on the top row and ground (-) on the bottom row. The additional lead (8 gauge) off the negative side of the rear battery feeds the 12 volt power to the truck and is connected to a junction on the drivers side of the firewall.

CBrinker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The power distribution block on the firewall has 24 volts (+) on the top row and ground (-) on the bottom row. The additional lead (8 gauge) off the negative side of the rear battery feeds the 12 volt power to the truck and is connected to a junction on the drivers side of the firewall.
Beat me to it. I couldn’t have explained it any better than that

fireman5214

You would recommend two 12-volt battery tenders then as well, correct?

MarcusOReallyus

I think either will work, but since the two batteries have different loads put on them, it might be better to use 2 x 12v.

Just make sure you know how to hook them up! The one for the 24v (rear) battery should be connected to the + and - terminals of the rear battery, NOT to the vehicle ground.

A couple of years ago I wrote to the help line at BatteryMinder to ask this question, but they never replied.

fireman5214

From what we believe is right and what I have read, we should use a 24v battery tender to help maintain the batteries on an M35A2 battery system, correct?
The 3rd battery is for accessories and we are thinking of putting a 12v battery tender on that as well.
I have pictures posted below, if you think anything different, please let me know. Thank-you in advance.
1580521516222.png
1580521535557.png

MarcusOReallyus

From what we believe is right and what I have read, we should use a 24v battery tender to help maintain the batteries on an M35A2 battery system, correct?
The 3rd battery is for accessories and we are thinking of putting a 12v battery tender on that as well.
I have pictures posted below, if you think anything different, please let me know. Thank-you in advance.
I think yes, since they are equally loaded.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You would recommend two 12-volt battery tenders then as well, correct?
Yes. And you can rig them up to disconnect without even opening the hood. Most come with quick disconnects you can permanently wire onto the battery terminals. You may need to lengthen them so that they protrude through the grill or somewhere like that.

dovetaildoc

Yes. And you can rig them up to disconnect without even opening the hood. Most come with quick disconnects you can permanently wire onto the battery terminals. You may need to lengthen them so that they protrude through the grill or somewhere like that.
Am I correct to understand that when using two 12v tenders, you do not have to disconnect the wire between the 2 batteries?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks