• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2.5T, 5T, what do I need?

rkleim

I know everybody gets tired of the new guys asking questions, but I'll ask anyways. Ive been thinking about getting a 2.5T to haul my offroad jeep. The Jeep: runs rockwells and 47" tires, weighs 5500lbs + spare parts and tools, its 8' wide so the drop side bed will work if I drop the sides, the wheel base is 10ft long, but bumper to bumper is 15', so the 12ft bed wont work, even 14ft bed I will be hanging over. Ideal would be 17 - 18ft bed.

So Ive been thinking about a 5ton now, simply because I need a longer bed, or can I find a long wheelbase 2.5ton with a 17ft bed?? Also I would like the power of the cummins vs the multifuel. And I would like to put 14.5 R20 singles on it. I will also be using off road.Anybody have any recommendations as to 2.5ton or 5 ton and what model 5ton. I work out of the country and I dont have time to rebuild a truck, so I am looking for an already overhauled truck. Im looking to spend under $13,000. I have very limited knowledge of these trucks. What would you get if you were me? Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd lean towards an M813 with the 14 ft bed or the one with the 20 foot bed. The CG is going to be wacky with the weight, the way it is suspended and the height of it. I'd opt for a trailer. If you want to make a statement, buy an M818 tractor and a lowboy.

rkleim

Ya the jeep does sit high, most people dont think it will be a problem though?? The jeep is about 8' tall, but has a low center of gravity because of the rockwells. The trailer is what Im trying to eliminate, by hauling it on the back of the truck.

M1075

rkleim said:
So Ive been thinking about a 5ton now, simply because I need a longer bed, or can I find a long wheelbase 2.5ton with a 17ft bed?? Also I would like the power of the cummins vs the multifuel. And I would like to put 14.5 R20 singles on it. I will also be using off road.Anybody have any recommendations as to 2.5ton or 5 ton and what model 5ton. I work out of the country and I dont have time to rebuild a truck, so I am looking for an already overhauled truck. Im looking to spend under $13,000. I have very limited knowledge of these trucks. What would you get if you were me? Thanks
If you want a cummins, then you will be looking for an M809 series 5 ton. The XLWB model is M814. If you single the tires, you should go 14R20 not 14.5R20. The M814 is not a real common model so you might have to look hard to get a good one.

If you can settle for a mutlifuel with less power and no power steering, a M36 deuce and a half could work.

Either way, your $13,000 budget is well within reason. For a good runner, you could probably get either for half that. If you want "overhauled", try Clark Truck Parts. http://www.clarktruck.com/trucks.cfm

M1075

RE: Re: 2.5T, 5T, what do I need?

BTW, ditto on the trailer idea. Assuming you want something to haul your "offroad jeep" down the road, a military truck might not be your best option. Why not just a pickup and car trailer?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Alot of guys have been asking this type of question recently. I have tried to not turn anyone away but, get a modern tow rig. Yes the deuce or 5 ton WILL get it where you want, but not in the time frame your looking at. Not many people have stated how high the truck + load will be. You can only get so tall before you scrape the load out of the bed of the deuce or 5 ton on an overpass. I don't know off hand where the bed of a deuce sits, but I know its not something you can drive your truck onto with out(BIG) ramps. I love to see people get into the military vehicle hobby, but don't buy a deuce cause it costs $3,000 compared to a duramax @ 40,000 to get from "A" to "B". I went that route cause I love the looks and I am NOT in a hurry(just ask the guys in ANY convoy with me) to get from here to there. Slow and steady wins the race with old M.V.s. If I have raised any questions, feel free to post and I will answer them to the best of my knowledge. I am very new to the deuces and 5 tons compared to alot of the guys here, but I would hate to have someone get a truck with a misconseption(sp?). I wish you all the best, but want you to know the downfalls. Regular maint. and a slow pace is where we are at. YMMV

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

A 2-1/2 ton tractor (won't have the Cummins, but) with a trailer would be choice IMHO.
Kenny has one for sale, post above.
A 5-ton has the capacity to haul 20,000 lb and with the bed over 4ft up it would be impractical as all getout. A LWB 5-ton will have an enormous turning radius and unsuitable on off road trails too....

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

You mention that you will be using off-road. It would be helpful to know what kind of off-road you plan to tackle with the 6x6 - as the trucks get longer the ride improves dramatically, but off-road mobiity, both from the turning radius as well as the getting hung standpoint, falls off.

That being said - consider a bridge truck - I believe that the bed would be large enough to accomodate your cargo without modification. It may require offwidth permits however.

As others have pointed out - none of the military 6x6s in the price range you describe will be suitable for on-road hauling at sustained speeds over about 50 MPH stock, and modifications to increase speeds without comparable improvement in braking isn't a smart idea either.

Regards,
David Doyle

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Are the tires DOT? You could add shackels and towbar it where ever you need to go.

dma251

It's a a rare turn that I agree with most of these posts, but I agree with most of these posts....

Having owned a M35 and an M813, I doubt you will be happy with either of these rigs for what you want to do after the initial fun of ownership wears off. Neither will do what you want to do well.

The Deuce will be slow as molasses on the road getting there, and the 5-ton will be even slower. Even though the 5-ton has a more powerful Cummins motor, it also weights in at almost twice what the deuce weights. Put bigger tires on it and you will be the guy pissing everyone off going up the pass for sure.

If you really REALLY want a military truck to make a statement at the trailhead, I would say you need to look at a tractor/trailer arrangment like an M818, but it's still gonna be a miserable way to get from point a to point b.

I loved driving my 6x6 (s) around town, and to work once in a while, but using them as a practical vehicle for a specific purpose - There are so many better options out there...

If it were me - I'd get a used 1994-1998 Dodge Ram Cummins diesel y4x4 truck for around $8-10k, and a nice trailer for $3-5k, paint them both 383 green, put a tough looking military style bumper on it, and call it good.

Comfort, style, and 15 mpg....

Just one man's opinion, though. Someone on here will tell me why I am all wrong in a few posts....

area52

Let me add my two cents. I bought my last deuce to do exactly what your planning on doing, hauling my rock crawler to and from the trails. I also bought a M200A1 trailer which is rated at 2.5 tons. I planned on adding longer frame to accomodate my 12 foot wheelbase crawler. After getting the trailer and hauling it around empty, the deuce just was not gonna be the ideal truck to haul this to and from the trails.

One - too slow - it would only go about 50 MPH tops with the trailer unloaded. I could have put larger tires (11.00 x20) and turned up the fuel to solve this.

Bed too short - like you said- need at least 14 foot or longer to safely hold my truck in the deuce and the M200A1 would take too much engineering to make a safe bed for it.

I decided to sell it and get a 5 ton which has a 14' bed and alot more power and towing capacity. yes it will only go a little faster, maybe 60 mph if I am lucky with bigger tires, but it will serve all of my other needs such as heavy duty towing, hauling and just the bigger is better factor :D

DMgunn

MVs are great fun. No doubt about that. But if you are hauling for any distance, I'm afraid the novelty may wear off rather quickly. SO noisy, and uncivilized, that you soon wish for the quiet of a 1 ton pickup that you can lean back in and drive with one hand on the steering wheel while talking to your friends or listening to the radio. I have thought about using my 5-ton to haul a Bronco to mud runs about 120 miles away, but that is probably as far as I could go. Then at the end of a long day, I would have to drive the thing home again... Plus it would cost me almost $100 each way in fuel alone. But it would get noticed...

tklm539

Cannot speak for the 5t, but I have my deuce on 11x20's. It is really high up to be driving up ramps. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. They would need to be 12' to 14' ramps to give even a moderate angle.

I think tractor and trailer or dually would be much better at the job.

dma251

AREA51 - "I mean, really, only level-headed, sane individuals own a 2 1/2-ton military truck and live in the woods. - John Cappa editor Jp mag. "

That quote was written about me. John Cappa and Christian Hazel from JP magazine came up to my house to buy my M35A2 from me. If anyone wants to see the article let me know. I can post it on here.

When I first read his clever commentary about my "Rural-American" livin' I was a little insulted, but after further conversations with John Cappa I realized he was every bit as red-neck as he thought I was. The only difference is he lives in Kalifornia....

I'm gonna put some Banjo music on for him next time he comes up to do an article about my hemtt.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know what would be wicked cool is an M812 bridging truck with the pallet. Drop the pallet, drive the buggy on, strap it down and suck the pallet back up on the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks