• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

#2 alternator question

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These alternators are externally grounded. The drivers side has a black ground wire. The passenger side is NOT grounded as it is placed in series to provide the 24 volts/charge to the rear battery. It will have a red wire to the bavk of the alt.

What you have a photo of on the back of the case is a condenser ir suppressor, I can't remember which. You don't need it.

If your truck is still 24v then your batteries and alternators are wired in series. You won't be able to use a regular grounded alt on the passenger side.

If your truck has been converted to 12v then your batteries and alternators will be wired parallel and you can use a grounded alt.

Good luck.

Rrent

Thanks - still 24v. I must have attached the wires correctly. All was working well after I installed the new alternator. I’ll get the original rebuilt and reinstalled.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks - still 24v. I must have attached the wires correctly. All was working well after I installed the new alternator. I’ll get the original rebuilt and reinstalled.
In your other thread you said you checked both alternators after a 40 mile drive and had good voltages. Why are you replacing the alternator? Are you talking about two trucks?

Rrent

In your other thread you said you checked both alternators after a 40 mile drive and had good voltages. Why are you replacing the alternator? Are you talking about two trucks?
No, I’m going to get the original rebuilt - but wanted it running. I used this same alternator when I had #1 rebuilt. I’m going to do the same thing with the starter. I’ll install an after market starter while I get the original rebuilt. I prefer rebuilt originals.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks