• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 quick questions for my 84 m1028

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1 best place to purchase 4 inch leaf springs ( front ) - maybe rear also

The best replacement glow plugs - also will they work on 6.2 and 6.5? Im planning on keeping the factory set up if possible. are the glow plugs 12v? Thank you Gents!!

Barrman

I have been impressed with the quality and function of everything Off Road Design has ever sold me. There are lots and lots of options out there. Just look for a 1985 K30.

Delco 9G or 11G glow plugs will fit any 6.2 or 6.5 diesel. They will swap into your CUCV with no issues. The CUCV has 12 volts going to the glow plugs from the firewall mounted resistor which steps down the 24 volts from both batteries.

Delco 60G glow plugs are the current offering. They are what is called self limiting. That means once they reach peak temperature. They hold it for a few seconds (I think 12-14 seconds but that could be wrong.) and then turn themselves off. If power is still applied, they will cycle back on and off indefinitely. I have never held power to one in a vice more than about 30 seconds but there are people out there who have let them cycle for hours with no issues.

The cycling on and off is important because if a glow plug gets too hot it will swell. Which means it won’t come out when you try to remove it. There are glow plug removal tools made just for this instance. A swollen and stuck plug isn’t as bad as an exploding or broken off plug though. Those require removal of the injector to go fishing with a magnet hopefully getting all the pieces. If you don’t have all the pieces then pulling the cylinder head will normally follow.

The problem with the 60G is the electrical blade. It is wider by just a bit than the blade on the 9G and 11G glow plugs. To install 60G glow plugs on a CUCV either the blade on the glow plug needs to be cut or the terminal ends on the wiring harness have to be changed.

vanaisa

I have Delco13G plugs on M1008 - discontinued probably but they are working great (just checked today).
And i found cross-reference for 60G:

Bosch 0250202126
AC Delco 60G
BREMI 25033
Champion CH238
Champion CH238002
Denso DG175
ERA 886124
GMC 12563554
HIDRIA H1197
Valeo 345146

Not sure their quality though.

Skinny

Go see ORD for anything suspension related. Yiu get what you pay for versus getting cheapo lift springs. Highly recommend a 4" front spring and shackle flip for the rear. If the budget is big enough, do crossover and redrill the front perches to move the axle forward one inch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks