• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

20,000 Garwood Clutch (Rizzo-)

spicergear

The clutch in-out clutch in my 20K Garwood in the back of my deuce wasn't working and was frozen up solid. Having put it in over a year ago and not finished the drive feeling that I'd have to change it anyway (which I would have for the M977 crane install)...so I'm not losing any sleep about that. Rizzo asked about mine as his clutch was frozen so I'm posting just in case the info might help someone else-

Because there was NO FRIGGIN' WAY I was pulling the winch out of the truck I had to do what I could from where it was. Okay, on the clutch side of the winch there's a pipe plug in the bottom and another plug just a few inches away on the about 45* angle section that heads up to where the roller fairlead would bolt on. If that is on, like mine, this project gets pretty tight on room. I did it with a mirror, flashlight and a couple of screw drivers. When looking in the rear plug (the one on the angle) you'll see where the outer side of the housing comes in then where the shaft is. There will be a pretty thick spacer/washer (about 1/4" or more) against the outside of the housing. *mine was frozen engaged if another is disengaged you'll have to come up with your own solution* Directly against that thick spacer is the engagement clutch thing that has to slide back and fourth (in and out of engagement). Directly against it is 'IN.' I was able to get a screw driver that would just fit into the whole, reach the clutch guts and just clear the fairlead housing on the outside. I was able to run it in the hole feeling as it slid down the side of the housing, then across the thick spacer, then to the parting line of the engagment clutch. I used another screw driver prying against the roller fairlead housing to push that screw driver into the parting line and was able to pry them apart. I kept prying, then nail it with some WD40 then would give the handle a whack in the other direction then pry it out again. It definately took some time working through a shi**y hole like that but after a few times it freed up and is working great now! I don't know if the bottom hole would have worked or not as I couldn't get the plug out. Need to buy some real big allen drives. Hope this helps anyone--

rizzo

thanks. My winches are still sitting on the ground next to the wrecker. I will use your experience, when the time comes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks