• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

200 amp generator housing broke.

LoeSki

so recently on my 1989 M998 my 200 amp generator housing cracked so its now only holding on with 2/3 bolts:-( sadly i think it happened when my brother over tightened the screw but oh well. any suggestions on where to purchase one or possibly even an upgrade kit. i've been looked online and saw you can get the 200 amp alternator kit without the alternator, but what alternator would i be able to use and also how does that work switching over from a generator to an alternator?

LoeSki

hahahaha, any other options or suggestions besides spending 800$ on a 200amp niehoff, im really not trying to get a whole new alternator since its just my housing that broke.

LoeSki

ive never welded aluminium before so ill give it a try. I tried to JB weld it, as a quick fix until i figure things out but but broke off once we bolted it back on. but thanks for that recommendation didn't think of that. just purchased my beast 2 weeks ago so i'm pretty amped to see how it comes out once its all set and done:driver:

Action

Is the support bracket missing at the rear bottom of the alternator? It should run down to the block and support the assembly.
I would take it to a welding shop before I tried to do that myself.

tage

ive never welded aluminium before so ill give it a try. I tried to JB weld it, as a quick fix until i figure things out but but broke off once we bolted it back on. but thanks for that recommendation didn't think of that. just purchased my beast 2 weeks ago so i'm pretty amped to see how it comes out once its all set and done:driver:
Get it welded. Tig isn't hard, but it's easy to **** up.

Wire Fox

For the OP: I'd absolutely get it professionally welded. Anything that spins at high RPM or houses something that does should be handled with at least some degree of precision, and I really feel like having your alternator turn into a grenade inside your engine is not something you should consider as an acceptable risk.

As to alternator vs generator: Technically, an alternator is a generator, but the electrical device we commonly call a "generator" (or Dynamo) spins the wire windings around a fixed magnetic field, generating 100% of possible output all the times. An alternator spins the magnetic field within fixed wire windings. I can't 100% remember the construction of my CE Niehoff 200A, but I remember the characteristic of how it operates: the higher the current load demand, the harder the engine has to work to turn that device. The variable output of the devices indicates to me that it would actually be an alternator. Another sign of this is that it uses a discreet voltage regulator, which is a component necessary for providing a field current to trigger the alternator to actually generate current. It's very common of the military to give a device its most general name possible, so the fact that NSN 2920014209968 points to being a "generator" really doesn't surprise me, but I'm fairly confident it's actually some form of alternator.

Last edited:

dilvoy

For the OP: I'd absolutely get it professionally welded. Anything that spins at high RPM or houses something that does should be handled with at least some degree of precision, and I really feel like having your alternator turn into a grenade inside your engine is not something you should consider as an acceptable risk.

As to alternator vs generator: Technically, an alternator is a generator, but the electrical device we commonly call a "generator" (or Dynamo) spins the wire windings around a fixed magnetic field, generating 100% of possible output all the times. An alternator spins the magnetic field within fixed wire windings. I can't 100% remember the construction of my CE Niehoff 200A, but I remember the characteristic of how it operates: the higher the current load demand, the harder the engine has to work to turn that device. The variable output of the devices indicates to me that it would actually be an alternator. Another sign of this is that it uses a discreet voltage regulator, which is a component necessary for providing a field current to trigger the alternator to actually generate current. It's very common of the military to give a device its most general name possible, so the fact that NSN 2920014209968 points to being a "generator" really doesn't surprise me, but I'm fairly confident it's actually some form of alternator.
Good explanation. I usually go by if it is long, it is a generator and if it is short, it is an alternator. A radio guy said that alternators made lots of static compared to generators and the military radios don't like it. Is that a true statement or just a wives tale?

mechanicjim

Its an Alternator in most generic terms, Military just like to keep the old name of Generator, the static that radios pick up is the AC "leakage" pass the didoes of the Alternator. the military purpose built units generally have capacitors/ special diodes to cut down the "leakage".
as to OP if you have a Niehoff they have distributors around that can repair those units but if the mounting foot broke they will most likely say to replace the whole housing(just FYI). you can check their website for more info http://www.ceniehoff.com/

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks