• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

205 Divorced T-case

MatthewH

Will an early 70's divorced 205 bolt into an 880 series truck? I ask because i have a 6bt/A518 combo, but they are from a 2wd truck, and i found a couple of early dodges with the divorced case
Thanks in advance

Elwenil

It will with the crossmember from the divorced truck. You will have to fab up the intermediate, front and rear driveshafts and shifter linkage but it will swap in with a little work. You may want to swap the yokes on the NP205 as most of them use the Detroit 7260 joint and that's a little weak to be dealing with a Cummins. The divorced NP205 does have 32 spline shafts all the way around so it's more than up to the task with the right yokes.

MatthewH

Excellent. Are the yokes something i can source off another case/truck, and would the bolt holes for the divorced crossmember already be in the frame?

mf5129

you can get it to work but you will not be happy with the trans.failure prone and weak for a diesel.works great in a gas application.

Elwenil

The 518 can be built to stand the 6BT is needed.

As for the crossmember, I doubt the later trucks will have the bolt holes for it. The mount is farther back than the normal crossmember and there isn't much else used there. Anything is possible, but I doubt they are there. You may have to move or modify the fuel tank also.

As far as the yokes, the 32 spline yokes for the NP205 are pretty popular and can be had in a variety of configurations. GM NP205s use the same yokes as well as a few other transfer cases. They aren't cheap to buy new, but it may be the easiest way to get what you need.

MatthewH

you can get it to work but you will not be happy with the trans.failure prone and weak for a diesel.works great in a gas application.
Interesting you say this. Our family has owned the truck since new in '93, and with over 300,000 miles on the ORIGINAL trans, never rebuilt, i'd say thats it works pretty **** good. And yes, it was actually used to pull heavy trailers and loads.

Maybe i'll keep looking for the correct t-case, better yet, a junk A518 to get the right 4wd shaft from.