• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 volt/ 12 volt set up, I need help.

Blythewoodjoe

I have a hummer generator I want to install on my deuce but need help wiring it in. I would imagine I am not the only one that would like to do such a thing, so if we could all pool our brains here I think we can come up with a plan.

First off if this has been cover here already please post a link. I haven't found anything yet. I have been looking for a wiring diagram on a hummer and haven't found one yet either. I think with a wiring diagram and enough time I could figure it out. I am going to post some picture of the unit here and if anyone can tell me what each of the point go to that would solve the mystery too.

A: is labeled AC
B: is labeled Ign
C: is labeled +14v
D: is not labeled but is about a 1/4"

I thought I had it all figured out until I saw "D". I thought "B" would tie in where the small wire on the deuce ties in and the "A" was my 12 volts but I just don't know.

Any help would be appreciated.
Joe Trapp

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whats the NSN of the genny? Have you scoped out the bracket on the deuce? Will it hold it? That 100 or 200 ammper is alot bigger than the 60 thats on the deuce..

Check Humvee TM 9-2320-280-34, section 6-3.3 (with Change 1) 100 amp dual volatge alt... gives a nice picture of what everything is..... That is, if it is a 100 amper... I can offer help, but need to know what the NSN is to speak with some suthority..

If it is a 100 with part # 12447110 then
A is AC
B is IGN
C 14V B+
D 28V B+

AC (and Im speculating, cause I gotta get going right now, is Accessory... The Humvee TM will tell you for sure...)

Blythewoodjoe

Thank you SIR. That manual is the ticket. I think I have it figured out. I just need to determine what the accessory point needs to go to as well as determine if the 28 volt point needs to be tired to a regulator.

Joe Trapp

Blythewoodjoe

"If it is a 100 with part # 12447110 then
A is AC
B is IGN
C 14V B+
D 28V B+ "

That is the right model number and the manual does confirm that. The only question remaining is what is "accessory" for? It would make sense to run the 28v point to the vehicle and the 14v to the added battery and even the ING to the ignition of the vehicle, but what would you do with an accessory? I just can't think of any purpose of that 4th wire.

Thanks,
Joe Trapp

devilman96

Being that your C terminal is meant for battery they are prolly giving you the A terminal to pull some type of feed from and its prolly switched, meaning its on and off with the ign saving you the trouble of installing a 24V relay to control small accessories... If that be the case I wonder what the amp rating is?

HUMMV TM might give you a better idea, if I had a diagram I could tell ya.

Just a guess but give it a whirl...

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the WAY back of the -34 there are electrical schematics... And I mean the WAY back... PAST the index...... Shows what goes where.. Make sure you look at the right one, there are several

Blythewoodjoe

Well I talked to my mechanic friend yesterday and he told me he used to rebuild such alternators. I am not sure if he meant these literally, but at any rate he said with great confidence that all I need to do is tie the 24 volt wire from the truck to "D", the 12 volt from the 12 volt system to "C" and the ignition wire to "B" or Ign. He said the AC terminal would not have to be hooked up and it probably went to a light or even a fuel pump or something that you would only want to have run when the engine is running. It could also be a light that might only burn if the alternator fails or something like that.

So here's the plan. I am going to remove my old alternator some time soon but not until I get the 12 volt stuff installed. Might be week or two. If anybody has any different views on this stuff, please post. I will continue to research the manuals and stuff too as time permits. I will also evaluate the existing bracket and determine if I think it need to be reworked to make it stronger for this heavier alternator. At any rate I will post findings after the fact, sink or swim.

Joe Trapp