• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24v License Plate Light?

houdel

Any suggestions on what to use for a license plate light for my Deuce? Michigan requires them, so I guess I need to install one.

I'm planning on mounting the license plate on the left mudflap, as high up as I can get it and still be legible to the rear (MI only requires one license plate). I'm going to use some plastic spacers to space the license plate out just enough to clear the ribs in the mudflap. I'll probably need to mount the lamp on the mudflap also, just above the license plate.

Interestingly, Michigan has TWO types of "Historical Vehicle" registration. You can get a new Historical Vehicle plate for $25 for a five year registration, or if you have an authentic Michigan license plate for the year of your vehicle, you can use that plate and get a LIFETIME registration for $35. It never has to be renewed and is valid until you sell or otherwise dispose of the vehicle. I bought a matched set of two brand new, never used 1970 Michigan plates, still in the original wrapper, on Ebay for $24 delivered. Already sent my application in to the state, hopefully I'll have my registration and be on the road soon!

67Beast

I wouldn't worry to much about a plate light. I don't have one on mine and no one has said anything yet about it. Heck I didn't even hang the plate on it for about 2 months before I restored it and no one even noticed that. My buddy John keeps the plate in the glove box of his, been that way for 5-6 years.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any lighted plate holder should work, just replace the light with a bulb for the tail light running or b/o run bulb.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Is that a jerry can holder on the mudflap in Joes pic? Kinda a novel idea....
Yeah, I have seen that done on other trucks as well. I think it's a good idea.

MVtrucker

I purchased the bracket and light shown in the trailer parts section of a local auto parts store. The light was chrome, so I scuffed and painted it. I forget the bulb number, but it's the same one used in the b.o. lights. I don't like NAPA's tag bracket and light; I found the style shown at an independent store.

houdel

The Joe Young solution is far simpler and easier solution that what I was planning, plus it looks like it was original equipment!. I bought a Grote license plate bracket and license plate light at my local auto parts store - both plastic, don't need to worry about rust, just need to paint both OD and change the bulb plus drill two 1/4" holes to mount them.

My only concern is the famous deuce vibration - is that plastic bracket going to hold up, or will it crack and break off, especially in sub-zero weather, which is common during the winter around here? Would I be better off with a metal license plate bracket?

CGarbee

The tag bracket on my M35A2C is just fabricated from some aluminum stock (get it from the scrap bin at work) bolted on one end to the tailight bracket using the bolts that hold the tailight in place and attached via another piece to the mudflap. Light is a spare one from a boat trailer that has been spliced into the wiring harness using some military Y taps and a couple of new rubber wiring connectors... Nice thing is that I not only get a tag light, but I pick up a third tailight and stoplight...
Joes's setup if nice and discrete, but if you've got stuff on the shelf and the auto parts store is way down the road...
I have an "ok" photo of the bracket on my website at:
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/m35pages/M35A2C/bluegrass2004/deuce4.jpg

mangus580

I just drilled plate mounting holes in the drivers side mud flap. We are supposed to have a light here in NY, but I havent bothered yet. It would be really easy to just mount a 'cheap' plate light right above it on the mudflap too.

See Pics.....

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks