• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2600 miles, an m1009, an M35A2C, and an M989A1....

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just arrived home from my latest ill conceived trip...

I left out of Tucson last week in a tan M1009 loaded to the gills with everything from slave cables to an MRAP bumper.

I made my way across I 10 to Baton Rouge uneventfully, leaving a trail of MV related items in my wake and putting faces and names to SS identities.

The blazer did just fine, the only hiccup being that the low coolant light came on one morning right after I had checked to make sure it was full. I dropped the blazer with the new owner and picked up the M35A2C.

From Baton Rouge I went to Jeepsinker's place and picked up an item for a guy in OKC to be dropped off the next time I make it by there. I had to hurry off from Jeepsinker's to make it to the GP lot in Deridder before they closed. I made it with about 40min to spare. Even though the GP description said no loading assistance available the guy there was very helpful assisting me get the M989A1 connected to the deuce.

I'll interject here that the empty weight of the M989A1 exceeds the deuce's tow rating by 1000lbs. It pulled fine, and I tested braking to be sure there weren't any surprises there either. The deuce actually had a shorter stopping distance with the trailer than without it (yes, downhill too).

About now is when a wasps nest fell out from under the dash. How fast can you stomp wasps at 45mph? I survived and they didn't.

So off I went towards TsgtB 's in granbury tx. I had planned to drive only part of the way there, but I was unable to find a safe and legal place to stop so I ended up driving until about 0200 before stopping at a picnic area and crawling into the back and going to sleep.

I was awakened by the sheriff's dept. He was "checking on you soldiers to make sure you're ok". It was pretty clear he had assumed the vehicle was active military, and never saw me as he was talking to me through the cargo cover. I left his assumptions intact and assured him it was a safety stop for some rest.

So I got to TsgtB ' s earlier than anticipated and we spent much of the day loading an engine shipping container onto the trailer. I'll leave out the details, but much was learned and fortunately nobody was injured and no equipment was damaged :). While I had the trailer disconnected I took the deuce and filled it. 30 gallons for 300+ miles, most of it with the M989A1 on the back. I had anticipated 7mpg, and was prepared for 5mpg so this was a very pleasant surprise.

We went back and hooked up the trailer and they fed me (greatly appreciated) and let me use their shower (even more greatly appreciated).

Off I went towards Ft Bliss. About 10 pm I filled up the truck and got a bite to eat and went to sleep.

Got up the next day and continued on towards carnac's. About 160 miles into it the truck starts stumbling and the dies. I was just short of dead certain I had a clogged fuel filter. I mean, it can't be empty.... but when I looked in the tank it was empty. I texted carnac with an update.

Nothing like PT in the thunderstorm.... walked to the truckstop, bought a scepter can and 5gals of diesel and then a couple of pipeline workers took pity on me and gave me a ride back to the truck. I put 46 gallons into the tank. I began to worry about a leaking tank....

i stopped about another 100 miles down the road and the truck only took about 10 gallons to fill. Hmmmmmm.

I was going to drive the rest of the way to carnac's, but I got pulled over....i had my 4 way flashers on, and apparently the rest of my trailer lights were not on. Cop took a good look at bumper numbers and I got out and jiggled the trailer electrical cable and lost all lights, then jiggled it some more and all lights came on. I made a comment about how I'd much rather him stop me for inoperative lights than to have to come along and scrape me off the road. He asked me if I was was going to ft bliss. I agreed that I was and continued on my way...

i stopped at the next rest area and coordinated meeting up with carnac the next morning. There was a Mexican family selling burritos, and I availed myself of that opportunity to get some good food. I charged my phone in their van and talked trucks with the guy.

Up this morning and met up with carnac. We loaded 24 enormous grade 100 chains into the trailer and then had breakfast. After breakfast, off I went. The drive up transmountain road is always enjoyable. 8% grade up, then 8% grade down the other side. I guess you can say the M35A2C has been thoroughly proven...

pictures to follow

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Glad you made it safe. Super nice truck and trailer you had there.

I passed off the 100 grade (yes 100 grade) lifting/towing chains I'd picked up for 98G in OH last week. If someone wants some super heavy duty chain, you may want to give him a PM. If I was going to stay in the 5 ton and up vehicles, I'd be sure to get a set.

FloridaAKM

What a great trip write up; sorry you had to endure the fuel thieves & the thunderstorm fuel run. Sometimes the fuel cans inside the cargo area are a pain, but a blessing when the gauge lies to you or you experience the fuel trolls theft. Glad that you did so well in the entire trip with Murphy being held @ bay till you got home. If there were more people in this world like you, it would be a much better place to live.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, I saw three of them like in your pic no. 5 yesterday while driving back to El Paso from Killeen. Two at Cooper's BBQ in Junction, TX, and one on I-10 eastbound just west of Junction.

You had me laughing when I got to the wasps in your story. Glad it all worked out.

datadawg

When you got pulled over, was your deuce and trailer registered -- did they have civvy plates? I've often wondered whether civvy plate makes things worse, b/c then you are just a regular Joe, and most LEO will cut military lots of slack... I presume you did not get tickets, so wondering if you think the outcome would have been different if they knew you were civilian.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks