• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3.73 vs 4.10 th400

welpro222

What do you guys think? 3.73 or 4.10 for my 87 suburban 6.2 th400 with 33 inch tires. At the moment I have 3.73 in it and I see no problems. I have a dana 60 and 14 bolt ff rear with 4.10s that im rebuilding to go into my suburban, I'm still trying to decide whether 3.73 or 4.10 would be good for me. Would the mileage lost be bad going from 3.73 to 4.10? Is cruising at 2500 rpms bad for the 6.2?

Use for vehicle:

Occasional Towing
Camping, driving on mostly logging roads
Hunting

Last edited:

Drock

I used this rpm calculator and it said the 4.10's would put you at 3000RPM's at 70MPH...Here's the linkhttp://www.ringpinion.com/Calculators/Calc_RPM.aspx

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
3:73's, 4:10's = Higher RPM = crappier mileage. I have a 14 bolt with 3:73's in my 1009 I get about 13-14 MPG @ 70 mph

2cents

Last edited:

Skinny

Are they already set up for the 4.10's? If you have to buy new gears, install kits, and setup bits plus labor, that is ballpark for an OD trans. I'd rather have a 700r4 with the 4.10's already in the axles than a TH400 and 3.73's.

What do you have for parts already?

welpro222

I do not see a 700r4 in my future. I may get 37 inch tires later on. This is not my DD, but I do not want to to loose 5 mpg by going to 4.10 gears.

Plus when I'm cruising on the freeway, im only going 60 mph max.

Last edited:
Here is a rpm / mph / tire / etc calculator for your and everyone elses perusal.
It also can factor in a od transmission.. If you ever consider going in that direction.

Im in the middle of putting a NV4500 backed by a NP205 6 bolt round input face. This way I wont have to mess with the differentials and ill have plenty of pulling power when I need it but also highway speeds with the OD.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/gearing.htm

richingalveston

if you plan to go with 37's in the future, put the 4.10 in. 33's are about as big as you want to go with 3.73's and it will probably feel some power loss at lower rpms.

my blazer was a dog with 33's on it and a suburban is a lot heavier. If all you ever do is 60 mph then the 4.10s won't hurt you and they will be much better when pulling a trailer.

spend your money on a good front locker.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use for vehicle:

Occasional Towing
Camping, driving on mostly logging roads
Hunting
Given your intended usage, I wonder why mileage is a concern. It may be best to consider how you might select gearing for obtaining the best part of the torque curve at the speeds you expect to drive at and let the mileage fall where it may.

Towing, driving on logging roads and seeking out a camping site all sound like relatively low speed operations (40-50 mph). If so, I'd choose gearing that will put you at max torque (it's about 1500-1800 rpm) @ 45 mph.

This is just a suggestion. You may have better ideas about your anticipated speed ranges, and can make better calculations based on your knowledge. As they say, "your mileage may vary!"

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks