• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3 batteries?

illtemper

well it's actually a 5ton ,not a deuce, but...
I have 2 interstate batts in my batt box right now ,no problems,but I have room for 1 more. I like the idea of having a spare onboard .is there any way to keep the 3rd batt charged? I'm thinking I can just switch cables once a month or neck down the 24v to 12v on a jumper to just that batt.
any ideas ?
thanks...Jon

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought the 5T has 4 batteries?

Anyway, you could wire up two in parallel and connect the other in series with them to give you 24 volts. I'm not sure I'd want to mess with it though.

Wire up a Solargizer or a solar charger on it (the third) for a less aggravating solution.

illtemper

Re: RE: 3 batteries?

swbradley1 said:
I thought the 5T has 4 batteries?

Anyway, you could wire up two in parallel and connect the other in series with them to give you 24 volts. I'm not sure I'd want to mess with it though.

Wire up a Solargizer or a solar charger on it (the third) for a less aggravating solution.

wow ,4 never crossed my mind ,I'll have to measure it but 4 might fit. I've never noticed (kinda new to all this). with 4 I can just wire up 2 sets of 2. thanks...Jon

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: 3 batteries?

You would be far better served by having the third battery charged by the newer HMMWV alternator, which has a 12V output and a 24V output. That would give you a constantly charged 12V source for all sorts of nifty accessories.

:D

jwaller

5t is supposed to have 4 batteries but 2 will work fine if you live in the lower 48 and dont have any cranking problems

ida34

The 800 series had 4 batteries. I am pretty sure the older M39 series such as the M54 with the gas, mack or multifuel had two batteries.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: Re: RE: 3 batteries?

jimbo* said:
Sorry to hijack the thread, but where would one acquire such an alternator?
I have occasionally seen them on eBarf, in beltfed34's store.