• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

300 hp CAT 3116

rwoods

Just curious - I was following another thread that send me to CAT's site. They list a version of a 3116 with 300 hp and 732 foot pounds of torque. Any economical way to get that out of the 170hp A3 version?

Production Dates: 1989-2000

3116 Ratings:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rating/Governed Speed[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Peak Torque[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]lb-ft @ rpm[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Torque Rise[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]170 @ 2600[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]420 @ 1560[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]22%[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]185 @ 2600[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]495 @ 1560[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]32%[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]185 @ 2600HT[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]520 @ 1560[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]39%[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]200 @ 2600[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]495 @ 1560[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]23%[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]200 @ 2600HT[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]520 @ 1560[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]29%[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]215 @ 2600[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]550 @ 1560[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]27%[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]215 @ 2600HT[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]605 @ 1560[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]39%[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]230 @ 2600[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]605 @ 1560[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]40%[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]230 @ 2600HT[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]650 @ 1560[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]40%[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]250 @ 2600[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]650 @ 1560[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]29%[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]275 @ 2600[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]735 @ 1470[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]25%[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]300 @ 2600[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]732 @ 1560[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]21%[/FONT]

mudguppy

short answer: no. not-so-short-answer: 3116/3126 Cats rated higher than around 210-ish hp had different pistons and [obviously] different injectors and turbo. so at the very least, you'd be looking at injectors, turbo, and adjusting the fuel settings. and to do it 'right' you'd need different pistons.

pistons may not be necessary, but they are different in higher rated applications, so...

i say go for it!!!!

milbri09

not to mention that the 3116/3126 MUI engines are parent bore blocks. So no sleeves to change. This means the the block needs to be plate stressed and rebored to provide round cylinder walls. The 3116 can be tuned sort of if you know which screws to turn. The most important thing to know about these engines is that the sync. rack that runs the injectors can often stick. These parts are not super expensive but require special tools and very precise adjustments. I would make friends with a cat mechanic and you should be ok. They are a good engine, but maybe I am biased. Yellow puts food on the table.

jesusgatos

Hmmm, that's interesting. I didn't know there was that much performance potential in those engines. Even if it's not in that engine, it's still in the 'family'. If I was ready to give up the multifuel though, it'd probably be a Cummins 5.9 swap in an A2 for me...

hemichallenger

Some motor homes and trucks have a 3116 factory hp of 350 and these motors will last as long as a 170 hp. I adjusted the rack on an a3 that only had 700 degree exhaust temp about 1 1/2 turns and now goes to 1000 and it is night and day. Almost fun to drive.

Last edited:

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as it's in the same family it can be boosted. Here's your problems the rack will have to be synced the transmission needs to be verified that it can tolerate the increase in torque.
It takes specific cat tooling to sync the rack

Aernan

As far as I can tell the transmissions are the same model in the various power levels of the 3116 3116e 3126. Can anyone confirm if there is any difference in the trans?

As far as sync the fuel rack. What I have read is the rack is synced injector to injector and then it all connects to the fuel governor which controls overall fueling the engine. Simply backing out a single screw increases fuel used.

snowtrac nome

You are correct you can also play with the afc screw also known as the smoke screw, should help a little on the top end. I think the engine would respond well to a set of compound turbos, because it has a lot of turbo lag, just like about all cats I have driven aside from the one 3406 with compounds on it I had an opportunity to drive. that one accelerated like a 6 b cummins.

Aernan

You are correct you can also play with the afc screw also known as the smoke screw, should help a little on the top end. I think the engine would respond well to a set of compound turbos, because it has a lot of turbo lag, just like about all cats I have driven aside from the one 3406 with compounds on it I had an opportunity to drive. that one accelerated like a 6 b cummins.
I really like the compound (dual) turbo idea. I've heard that twin scroll turbos can also be tuned to perform similar to twin turbo setup. Also a VNT turbo can also do that. It's very obvious to me that turbo technology has really improved since 1992 when they made this engine. For certain the materials used for the wheels have gotten stronger allowing the shrinking of the wheels. The wheel impeller designs have gotten more efficient also allowing shrinking of the wheels. This causes turbos to spool at lower RPMS.

I'm sure with the right turbo setup that more power could be found a lower engine RPMs. Also more air means you can burn more fuel and not make clouds of soot. I have heard claim that more efficient turbos also produce less heat. I'm not sure how that works.

Any idea the turbo input/output size or the total boost? I think it boosts at 11 psi but I can't confirm that. I can't find any information on wheel sizes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks