• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

30D36R Wisconsin Robin 3 KW Genset Locked Up

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I think I screwed up. I have a 30D36R Wisconsin Robin 3KW genset I got from GL a while back. Never ran, but looked almost new, only missing the fuel filter. I replaced the fuel filter, but still could not get it to run. A friend came over and convinced me to shoot some starting fluid in and try to start it. It started, but would only continue running with an occasional 1/2 second shot of fluid (not ether). After about 20 seconds of this, the engine locked up. I suspect the piston seized in the bore. I can't decide whether to try to fix it or sell it for parts.

Brandon314159

Did it have oil in it while you were running it on ether?

I suppose if the bore was VERY tight, running on heavy ether shots could have seized the piston in the bore (scrubbing the cylinder walls).

Sorry to hear that! Pop the head off the engine?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It had oil in it, in fact I had just changed the oil and cleaned the oil filter. The engine turned over freely before the lockup. I think I'll pull the head. Fortunately, parts are readily available.

derf

I have the TM and some consumer manuals for the motor, should be a Fuji or Wisconsin Robin 27, IIRC.
I picked one up because it is the lightest Diesel gen, I think, at 178lbs.
Also, they are 12V if you use a battery to start. They aren't milspec monsters like the MEPs, but I think they are good little gens.
Mine was missing the fuel filter, too. I hooked up a generic filter and later ordered the correct filter.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have 3 of them. 2 operational and 1 DOA. Phil took them to Fl and got 1 working. At this years Ga rally we talked about a murphy switch. I just don`t understand these gen sets and the workings of them.
gl I wish I had known you were at the rally we could have talked. You sent me the TM on these gen sets about a year ago. I would like to get the 1 working. They are loud, they smoke but they run and run. Let us know what the outcome is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks