• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

318 swap

bubba_got_you

318 swap
Ok who has dun a 381 swap? I found one here in Florida for $300 with trans and pto so I may be using the trans on it but I don’t know yet. What I really need to know is how good is the 318? Will it fit with out cutting?

Last edited:

M37Dodge

The 318 is ultra dependable and stands massive rpms. It is a 340 with a smaller bore. Variations have been used from 1963 to the present. Search on the 318/360 M37 swap - it has been well documented on the web. Internal balancing makes it easy to swap a 318, unlike my 360 - which required a matching balanced flywheel.

Elwenil

Yeah, 318s are pretty solid and very reliable. They get a bad rap because they are not a huge powerhouse as compared to other similar sized engines like a Ford 5.0 but they are much more durable and can be built to put out some impressive numbers very easily. They are plentiful and can be had cheap and should be an easy swap. Even in stock emissions choked form the 318 is still a huge upgrade from the M37s 230. I am going to guess that since the 318 you are looking at has a PTO on the transmission that it is a NP435 4 speed, which is a rock solid transmission that was used in everything from big block 2 1/2 ton trucks to slant 6 powered half tons. Add a NP205 transfer case behind it and you have the same set up I am running in my Ramcharger, which is very durable and easy to work on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks