• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

330 miles from New Mexico to Texas

red

Just purchased an old deuce and a half from a fellow SS member here. Started the drive out of Las Cruces New Mexico and drove it back to Midland Texas, cruising along at 50mph along interstate 10 and 20.

uploadfromtaptalk1406475568171.jpg

A friend of mine came along, driving the pickup/support truck for just in case.

uploadfromtaptalk1406475653977.jpg

Truck drives great, nice and responsive steering and the multi fuel runs happy as can be. Mechanically the only problem is the brakes, looks like a replacement master cylinder is in order.

We were planning to camp out in Van Horn, decided to push through and pulled into town around midnight. Needed a 1 mile tow from the support truck to a fuel station (sputters at 1/8th tank, oops). That resulted in the chaos of the trip haha. Being pulled along the side of the highway and up the overpass to the fuel station was fine, going down the overpass was the hard part. Although I was in gear trying to slow down, the support truck slowed down faster than I could. A quick turn resulted in a snapped tow strap and the deuce giving me a lesson on thumb placement with the steering wheel. The truck came back to life and limped it the last 30 yards to the fuel pump. gave it about 10 gallons, more than enough to make it the last 5 miles and 3 red lights home.

red

Upgrading to a dual circuit master cylinder before the next drive, that will take care of it. I need to compliment the steering on it, even on the ndt's there was very little play. Total side to side movement was next to nothing and the truck tracks wonderfully.

zout

You just gave me a flashback of driving OTR down through there. Glad it all worked out and the pics just confirmed my flashback.

FloridaAKM

On my first Deuce & a half, I ran from Blue Ridge, Ga to Gainesville, Fl in one 420 mile trip. It was a trying experiance as I drove up there that morning in a rented car & drove home that day in 12 hours w/ no backup. The good Lord was watching over me that day real closely.

Glad to hear that you made the trip with only a burp on the low fuel level. Only a politician lies more than a MV fuel guage. If you still have the strainer attached to the fuel tank cap, you might want to use that as a guide as to when to dump another $50.00 or so into the tank as a visual reminder when you can't see any fuel in it any more. I usually pull the screen to do the filling since its mostly pump diesel that goes into the tank. Yes, there is a large reserve if you do it that way, but I can't push a Deuce & a half less than an inch if that far!

red

Has been an interesting day. Last night when I pulled the deuce into the back yard it was too late to clear up the rubble from when I tore out a section of the cinderblock fence a few days earlier. About noon I started cleaning it up, tossing the broken blocks into the bed. So far have had 2 of my neighbors show up to check out the truck and help me load the blocks into the bed of the truck hahaha. Thumb is sore and a little swollen, steering wheel smacked it really good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks