• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

395s MRAP wheels Stock spare location

kswilsher

I saw that 395s had been mounted on stock rims in the stock location and saw that the tool box had to be modified. I had my spare mounted on a MRAP wheel so, first off I knew I needed to make a spacer or spacers to use the stock mount. First I ordered 2ea. 6 1/2 inch long 3/4" -16 grade 5 bolts from Grainger, because I could pick them up local PN 22TE31. I made the 2 spacers out of 2" dia pipe 3 1/2" long and flat area washers welded on both ends. I then wrestled the spare into place and tightened her down or up... whatever... The 4th pic shows the only problem I needed to address. You can see that my parking brake drum was now contacting my tire. I then removed the tire mount from the truck. It's only 4 bolts right? I had to displace both air tanks to get to the nuts that were on the back side of those bolts. I then added 6ea. 2" dia flat area washers between the mount and the frame of the truck at each of the 4 bolt locations and of course bought 4 grade 8 bolts that were 1/2 inch longer. The total stack up of the 6 washers was .0696 inch. The 5th pic shows the tire mounted and closer view of the spacer arrangement without the washer added. The 6th pic. shows the space from the brake drum to the tire now. the 7th pick shows the bottom side of the tool box looking outboard and the clearance to the airpack. the tire is against the back side of the tool box and only the lip on the aft side the aft brace had to be removed. I know that it did lower the strength of the box mount a bit but I don't think it is enough that I will ever notice. The 8th Pic shows the tire in place all mounted and road ready. The last pic shows my torque reduction unit I picked of of Ebay. I did have to grind the diameter of the socket down a bit with a belt sander and cut the foot down a bit but it now works on MRAP wheels with adapter plates. It only takes 65 in-lbs. of torque to reach 350 ft-lbs.

a.jpgab.jpgabc.jpgabcd.jpgabcde.jpg20180518_162657.jpg20180518_162718.jpg20180520_173619.jpgabcdefghi.jpg

winfred

ive got mine sucked up in the pocket with no trimming but haven't built the offset hanger yet, currently secured with chain so its not stressing the cables, by not forcing it to align with the stock mount i don't have any critical clearance issues, but i do want to build a offset hanger for something more elegant then a hunk of chain with a high grade bolt snugging it up

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need the torque multiplier. On fleebay there are some with 2 sockets and some with 4 or more. I think the lug nuts are 38 mm, so need the one with 4 sockets.

My M35A3 is under the knife (making a 4x4) so I'm going to go behind the cab with the 395 spare. I'm not sure what to do with the spare area, it leaves a sizable opening.

Wonder if anyone can use the hoist off mine?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I need the torque multiplier. On fleebay there are some with 2 sockets and some with 4 or more. I think the lug nuts are 38 mm, so need the one with 4 sockets.

My M35A3 is under the knife (making a 4x4) so I'm going to go behind the cab with the 395 spare. I'm not sure what to do with the spare area, it leaves a sizable opening.

Wonder if anyone can use the hoist off mine?
Check with CSM Davis. He has some of the multipliers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's looks good I just made an offset out of channel and an old deuce rim. Works for me. IMG_20200627_144629904.jpgIMG_20200627_144641902.jpgIMG_20200627_144655235.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks