• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 wheel steering on a 5 ton???

CDN-CUCV

I went and had a look at two M812A1's the other day and between the two, one could build a nice truck.

Anyway, considering that one would have access to two front ends, I thought four wheel steering would be an interesting adaptation to a bobbed 5 ton, 16.00 x 20R's etc...

Has anyone here done this, or attempted to? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

DUECE-COUPE

sounds cool, but I don't think the power steering pump has enough power to operate both front assist, and rear hydrolic steering systems.

ROB L3

i have considered doing that to my bobbed 5 ton.i just havent come accross a doner 5 ton yet. i would use the front springs and hangers on the rear and use an electric over hydralic pump to run a double acting cyl mounted to the rear axle.you can also install a self centering valve to always center the rear steering when you let go of the switch.this is how the monster trucks do it and it works well.

CDN-CUCV

I was thinking the whole hydraulic system would have to be upgraded to make the set-up work forsure. I like the idea of having a knuckle-boom as well so I would need to install a system that could handle it all.

CDN-CUCV

i have considered doing that to my bobbed 5 ton.i just havent come accross a doner 5 ton yet. i would use the front springs and hangers on the rear and use an electric over hydralic pump to run a double acting cyl mounted to the rear axle.you can also install a self centering valve to always center the rear steering when you let go of the switch.this is how the monster trucks do it and it works well.
That was my next step, to check the monster truckers tech on how the run their rear-steer.

Now this was the other idea. Having dual cylinders, front and rear, which operate in tandem or independently of each other. The idea is to, providing the wheel base is correct, to have a 0 degree turning radius. I live in an area where it would be advantageous to have a truck that could turn around in tight spots.

very expensive and no longer street legal with hyd front steering.also hyd rear steer must have lock to be street legal.
This is a big miscconeption. There is no law that says it's illegal or legal so it's more up to the preferene of the owner. Some deem it not safe but all the newer farm tractors are full hydraulic and with the newer transmissions can run in excess of 45 to 50 mph. If the system is not setup properly it can be twitchy and dangerous, so if your gonna do it don't skimp on the proper parts. It isn't illegal now, so no reason to give them a reason.

Nooner

True about the 'not being legal' part, no mechanical link, but for off-highway use it could be fine.
This is a big miscconeption. There is no law that says it's illegal or legal so it's more up to the preferene of the owner. Some deem it not safe but all the newer farm tractors are full hydraulic and with the newer transmissions can run in excess of 45 to 50 mph. If the system is not setup properly it can be twitchy and dangerous, so if your gonna do it don't skimp on the proper parts. It isn't illegal now, so no reason to give them a reason.
Yup - Texas laws only care about lash.

Back to the PO's question - isn't most of the monster truck stuff 12v? I know a lot of the rockcrawler stuff uses an electric pump for the rear only.

I thought about putting rear steer on my deuce too, but until I can steer the front well I probably shouldn't look to steer the rear!

yeager1

A 4 wheel steer bobbed 5 ton could sure make a great snow plow truck. Can be very safe if done right, a rear lock out should be used for road use. FYI- Some of the street legal Oshkosh plow trucks have it, might be a good place to start for ideas.

Condec

I hope you buy them cause I could sure use some of your residue parts. He is stuck with them and next phone call will be to scrap guy. Buy them and take the fire tanks off and sell them to said scrap guy. Let me know

deuce_09

if it were me,in my opinion, i would just use the stock power steering for the front axle and use hydro steering in the rear and control it by a switch since u wont be using it as much as the front.
thats how most rock crawlers are.they only use rear steer when they need to get out of a tight spot. in mud trucks 4ws isnt used allllllll the time. most the time they'll use it to do a donut(which a five ton really cant,more like just turning slowly in a circle)or if they get stuck they use it to crawl out of theyre own ruts.

mike

Last edited:

jesusgatos

If any of you guys want to read about hydro steering setups, forget the monster truck stuff - just go to pirate4x4.com. Lots of rock crawlers are running rear-steering rockwells, and you'll find a bunch of helpful information there.

Wrench Wench

How is the steering managed in an 8x8x4 like the HEMMT? Surely you're not going to tell me it's a mechanical linkage to both steer axles. I'd imagine it's a full hydraulic steer with a speed-sensing proportioning valve to cut down the amount of steer to the number two axle.

Thing I've never been able to picture about a full hydraulic steer is how to effect ackerman. If it's two separate rams, one to each wheel on an axle, then sure, it's be easy, but the valving would be a female dog. Independent rams would also be the only way to get a true 0⁰ turning radius. You were joking about that, right, OP?

Multiple rams per axle would just make me jittery. Additional complexity begging Murphy to ride shotgun.

Flat Black

no need to run multiple rams per axle... either run a double ended cylinder or run a single ended cylinder with a tie rod.

Read pirate or any other big off road board, there are tens of thousands of rigs around the country using rear steer and has been for years. Its very simple to do, its not scary and its controlled by a small joystick (usually) or something similar in the passenger compartment.

You can use everything from an AGR Rock Ram, to redneck steering (surplus ram or tractor parts) to PSC or POS (Station/Sean on pirate). The higher you go up the chain, the more expensive the parts get.

There are bolt on kits for Rockwells to be used as rear steer its been done so many times, there is nothing to figure out anymore...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks