• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

400 hrtz frenzy,

Walt4653

400 hrtz gensets are going for crazy money or am I missing something here?
CAN THEY BE USED FOR SOMETHING ELSE OR AM I NOT SEEING SOMETHING HERE. NOTHING I OWN IS 400 hrtz, or are ther many Nieve people out there.
walt

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haven't you heard? The world is changing to 400 hz, on 12-22-12. Well Europe is only going to 390 hz.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always screw up when it comes to using Metrics.

Thanks for the correction.

Isaac-1

Unless you need them to power purely resistive loads (heating elements, incandescent bulbs, etc.) they are useless on the civilian market. Having said that there are some nice ones that look to have never been used that have shown up on GL lately complete with drum adapters, hoses, and ground rods, these could make great parts machines for their 60 hz cousins, of course that is only if the price is right.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
66 volts... (San Francisco)

No, no easy way to change the HZ. You'll need a new gennerator head, and control boxes.

Last edited:

ETN550

The generator end can be replaced to get 60 hz and the controls need worked over. I noticed the MEP-114a 15 kw units were very nice condition. Late model engines of brand name are big bucks. Don't think they are worth that much though...

Last edited:
Of course if you rectify to output, you could use it to charge a battery bank. Batteries don't care what frequency the DC lumps are that are feeding them, only the voltage. ( Yes you'd need to run the output through a transformer. ) After that use the batteries to drive an inverter.
Ugly - Yes.
Clunky - Yes.
Would it work? To an extent. Limitations include, transformer size, battery charge rate, inverter size.
And of course that evil curse that hounds anyone with a plan based on "Well, let me see... All we need is..." Cost.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks