• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

406/Case MB-94 vs FLU419 for ranch

creekjumper

Anybody have an opinion on which one would better serve as an all around ranch "tractor" and truck. We are taking over a neglected mixed farm: cattle, some field crop and some tree crops.
There are a lot of FLU419's coming into the country right now and the backhoe and bucket would be quite valuable but I'm not sure which is more versatile. The FLU's would probably have less hours and be newer and cheaper, but there is the whole mysterious former life aspect of a military vehicle vs a vehicle that has it's history attached to a person who I can actually talk to.

Parts availability is a factor in my decision as well as dependability. After I assess the unit and fix what is needed I need it to just work and be reliable with only a normal amount of maintenance and repairs. I really can't afford to tinker with it all the time.

Range of attachments is also important.

Thanks y'all

tommys2patrick

If you get the right mog it will come with a hydraulic chain saw, large tree/wood bore, jack hammer with spade, rock drill and chisel points. not sure how useful that would be. the loader bucket can be disconnected and replaced with forks. the MB 94 can also have the bucket swapped with forks. Overall though I think a backhoe is more useful. The mog may be kinda tippy/bouncy even with the outriggers down. It does have better off road capabilities except on side slopes. Buying mog parts could be time and money consuming, special tools needed as it is foreign so to speak. the backhoe would probably be well supported with parts and tools locally. the cool factor goes to the mog but does not sound like its a high priority for you. my 2 cents

UNIMOG-GUY

Last edited:

tommys2patrick

apologies if I was not on track with the discussion. When I saw CASE in the description I mistakenly thought you meant the backhoe not the Case Mog version versus the freightliner mog version. carry on. Lots of nice, modern, low hours cat backhoes coming back as well. Military versions if that is where you wanted to be.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Creekjumper, Here is a quick summary. If you need a backhoe and loader the FLU-419 SEE is a good tool as-is. The hydraulic tools are terrific, too, but you'll seldom find them with the SEE. Yes, forks were made for the Schmidt loader but good luck finding them. I have never seen a set. The Case backhoe on the SEE (variation of Case model 580) is a great backhoe. Lots of power to that bucket. When operating with the stabilizers down and the front bucket firmly planted, you can do a lot of work. Take off the loader and backhoe and you have a short heavy truck not good for much anything, IMHO, without heavy mods.

One operational shortcoming of the SEE is when using the loader. If you want to dig with it, forget it. The SEE is sprung stiffly but the suspension will still bounce on you as you try to control the bucket. I find the Unimog bucket just fine for my farm work but a true backhoe/loader is better suited for loader work (no suspension on those). Of course if you need to drive a few miles to do work in another place, the SEE is outstanding. It will run circles around a farm tractor or loader/hoe.

The SEE is just a loader and backhoe, and a good one, but that's where utility ends. For a farm tractor you would want a 3-point and power take-off which the SEE does not have. Without the 3-point and PTO you are really limited as to what common implements you can use.

If you need an all-around farm tool, the Case MB-4/94 Unimog 406 is the best and most common in this country. Has two front hydraulic controls right on the steering column that are run off an engine powered pump and run front and aft. Some have a high capacity hydraulic pump run off the transmission and that is needed for running a backhoe or other greedy hydraulic implement. If you buy a Case MB-4/94 that does not have the hi-cap hydraulics then a backhoe would be very slow, and forget about running a rotary cutter, etc.

The basic non-Case 406 (as used in Germany and elsewhere) is also an option, but not common over here. It is not a Case, but does everything well. Even has a dump bed on most (dumps 3 ways). That is the Ultimate farm tractor, IMHO. Find some hydraulic tools (I use hydraulic chain saw, 10" circular cutter limb saw, and impact wrench/drill) and those all came from that e-auction place. You don't have to find a SEE to have hydraulic tools to use with a 406.

The basic 406 would need a PTO stabilizer and the 3 point module for the back to be really useful. Those seldom come with the 406 and are scarce and expensive. Front loader and backhoe are available and quite cheap. Beware that most do not come with mounting brackets and those are SCARCE if not preserved with the set.

Availability: SEEs are plentiful right now, but beware, many were abused and cannibalized. You never know what you are getting. Buying one from a dealer/reseller is a smart move to get a functional Unimog but cost is high.

My advise, bottom line, is not to get a Unimog unless you really want a Mog. If you want a farm tool, buy a farm tractor.

Bob

creekjumper

Thanks for the advice tennmogger. Trying to weigh all the options and haven't ruled out getting a tractor and a pickup (or maybe a MOG or MV). The road to the ranch we are buying is tough and includes fording creeks two to three (+) feet deep. Only four miles long though .

Thanks again

BigBison

The SEE is just a loader and backhoe, and a good one, but that's where utility ends. For a farm tractor you would want a 3-point and power take-off which the SEE does not have. Without the 3-point and PTO you are really limited as to what common implements you can use.
I'm confused. My landlord's a rancher, and he swears the crane on my FLU-419 HMMH (he hasn't seen my SEE, I assume they're the same but I've never had both in the same place at the same time to see for myself) is a 3-point hitch. Another "expert" swears the crane and backhoe are interchangeable, suggesting the SEE is also a 3-point hitch. I will grant that neither has a PTO *shaft* but is that really necessary, if I want to run a trencher?

The FLU-419 marketing material certainly shows 'em running a rear-mounted trencher, but I'm starting to wonder if it's a unicorn? Any 3-point trencher I've found online needs a PTO shaft...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks