• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

416 questions

undysworld

I'm working on a 416 which I recently aquired. I have a few questions:

How do the springs come off? The manual I found shows removable bushings and I assume the zerks come off, but none of those seem to unbolt. How are they removed?

I've got a bad inner bearing race on one side. I found another post listing the bearings at Timken LM-501349. Can anyone verify for me if this part number is correct? I assume the local bearing shop can supply them.(?)

I'm missing the inner seal on the other side. Who sells them?

Thanks a million,
Paul Underwood

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
The Laef springs have both left hand and right hand threads. one of each on each side. I think it`s only one .It`s been a while . The bushing comes out and you will reuse the hardware. I think the one I`m pointing to in the pic is LH thread. I hope this helps.

Attachments

undysworld

Hi Guys, and thanks for prompt replies. I have a little progress to report.

Neil, you are correct that there are both right-hand and left-hand threads. You are pointing to the lower left bushing, and that is left-handed. However, the upper left and both upper and lower right (both on the right-hand spring) bushings were right-hand (WTFO?).

For anyone with even less knowledge than I had yesterday: the zerks screw out as expected. Then the "bolt head" end of the shackle (Neil is pointing to) unscrews from the shackle. It's like a bolt, but it's also hollow to screw over the end of the shackle. It's hard to describe. In my case, the zerks were jammed solid with old grease, so disassembly just took hours of back-and-forth (and then some heat to get the cotter pins out from the front spring bolt).

Floyd, thanks for the tip. I'll look them up next.

Paul

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well It looks and sounds like you done good. As I said it had been a while. Glad we could help. Everyone here will help. Great folks here. How are you going to use your trailer?

undysworld

Hi Neil,

I've got a '76 Steyr Puch Pinzgauer, which we take camping. But as our boy grows, and with 2 dogs, and now we've got a kayak and canoe to take.....

That's where the new trailer will come in. I expect I'll use it around the farm too, but I've got a regular pickup for general work and a duece & 1/2 for the really large loads.

Yesterday I finished sandblasting and primering the frame, less the front rails & lunette. They are today's project.

Madsam, touche', but you get me talkin'.....
ps: Cripple Creek, must be nice!

undysworld

Neil, Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been busy on the trailer, and also finishing up this fight here with the WisDOT over allowing Pinzgauers to title/register.

I'm technically challenged. The last picture I took was on film. I'll see if I can't get my 12 year old to help.

I've taken the box and frame down to bare metal, primered and painted it with OD paint.

It came with new fenders, but the brackets on the trailer were ripped off on one side, and had a home-made fender on the other side. I cut off all the brackets, welded in new metal where the brackets had been torn off, and made up new brackets to replace the missing ones. Then I welded on the brackets to fit the new fenders. Long bit of work.

Some dumb-a$$ cut in a tailgate, and I've debated about putting that back to rights. But for now I'm going to just live with that. Maybe next winter when I have time....

I had a friend make up new tail-light brackets, and got new aftermarket mil.-looking lamps and replaced the bulbs for 24v. Now they use the same bulbs as my truck uses.

I got new shocks at NAPA for about $16 and installed them today.

I've located new tires, but it's about $130 each delivered. I'll probably waffle for a few weeks and then give in. :roll:

The wire harness connector is on the way, and that will complete the wiring.

Then it's a new bearing & seal.

I needed another reminder of why most people simply buy something previously restored. But it's pretty satisfying to bring something back from the brink. It'll be that much more fun to drive around. It's a good thing my time is free......

Paul