• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

454 will replace multi fuel in m35a2?

Gunfreak25

I can't wait to see pics of the engine swap. I love my hot rod deuce. It has a 455 Olds and Th400 in it. It's not even a smog motor, made in 1970 and taken out of a Delta 88. 350 ponies and over 400lbs of torque. I am running the original 24V Ford Autolite Generator & Regulator out of the original 302ci gas engine. I simply wired in a 24V to 12V converter to keep the Olds ignition 12V. I am quite familiar with the air over hydraulic system so I wanted to keep it. To do this I fabricated a T mount on the left side of the front of the block for the original Military air compressor. Just need to plumb it in for coolant and oil feed.

Good luck! Don't let the naysayers discourage your idea either. It may not be as fuel efficient as a diesel engine, but your going to have a lot more power and higher top end speed. And who knows, if you can exercise some foot discipline and keep it under 45MPH it may just surprise you for being a gasser. The original 302 gassers in the M211 series usually averaged between 5 and 8 on a good day. But come on', these also had single barrel carbs, poor intake setups and the exhaust flow probably wasn't the best. They were also pretty underpowered and you really needed to push them to get moving at first. Most guys are telling me the larger gas engine will increase fuel economy because it doesn't have to work nearly as hard to propel the vehicle. The steep axle gears will also help lessen the load on the Th400, although it's no tinker toy by any means! Only one way to tell! Go for it!

nathantc409

Raising this post from the dead. Just would like to know if either of the BBC swaps talked about in this thread ever came to completion. I to have thought about this, being as (2021) one can find a old motorhome or medium duty truck with a BBC and many choices of transmission for $500-$1500 complete. Clearly being able to rev over 2600 and having a true overdrive ratio will help drastically for hwy use.

yolner

Only completed swaps I've seen have been 5.9l ones. Would be nice to see someone do a gas swap just because a 5.9l is damn near impossible to get for reasonable money anymore.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Look for the first wrecked Lucid Air and get the motor at 168 pounds and 680 HP and go from there.
Or how about wrecked Teslas with everything?

nathantc409

i know where i can get a running motor home with a 454 and turbo 400 running and driving for $600 right now. Really thinking about it. Would make the truck cruise at 65 mph no problem due to being just fine at 3,500 rpm. Maybe less depending on the OD ratio of the 400 auto. Dont know what ratio it has. Should be simple enough to swap. Much easier if i find a chevy medium duty truck that had air brakes.

Gunfreak25

i know where i can get a running motor home with a 454 and turbo 400 running and driving for $600 right now. Really thinking about it. Would make the truck cruise at 65 mph no problem due to being just fine at 3,500 rpm. Maybe less depending on the OD ratio of the 400 auto. Dont know what ratio it has. Should be simple enough to swap. Much easier if i find a chevy medium duty truck that had air brakes.
TH400 is a direct drive, no OD sadly. So you’d be at roughly 3600rpm at 65mph. Would be quieter than a Multifuel screaming at 55. Mileage would probably be 6 or 7 depending on a lot of things.

nathantc409

TH400 is a direct drive, no OD sadly. So you’d be at roughly 3600rpm at 65mph. Would be quieter than a Multifuel screaming at 55. Mileage would probably be 6 or 7 depending on a lot of things.
good to know, but im going to hold out till i find a commercial truck with 454/427 and air brakes. Would make life a LOT easier. Might get lucky and get the whole truck at a good price, then rob the power steering too. Id also prefer not to deal with an automatic. Would love a 7 speed with od behind a bbc. Fuel milage isnt great with the current engine. Won't hurt me if its only 8mpg. Its not like anyone wants to take a road trip in a deuce lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks