• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4A032 on Welder

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a 4A032 engine to drive my DC welder. Several years ago I had put a Wisconsin VF4 on it, but it developed a rod bearing problem so I replaced it. It also did not develop high enough RPM to make the welder reach potential. The 4A032 works really well on it. I made the exhaust pipes and machined an adapter for its flywheel to use a Lovejoy coupler to the welder. The welder is on a frame so the whole unit can be lifted off the trailer and put in a truck for better portability. The trailer is good for use around the farm. I also tapped the top of the engine's filter housing and added a Murphy oil pressure gage to shut it down if oil pressure drops for some reason. The governor is really responsive, with no noticeable drop in welder efficiency when an arc is struck. These are really nice motors! Now, some matching paint for the welder and frame, and it will look nice.
Regards Marti

Attachments

m139h2otruck

That must really "talk" with those straight pipes. Ours sounded like a mini VW with the pipes open. Talk to the guys @ Northwest Equipment if you want a starter. Usually on E-bay.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the tips about the starters. One would be nice, but it really starts easily with the rope. I will look into costs.
Stonepicker1: We have a fuel tank off the Wisconsin we will use when we get it properly mounted. Right now we are temporarily using a fuel tank off a small engine, but it does not have enough capacity, so we have not permanently mounted it. I removed it for the pics so it did not give the impression it was large enough. The larger fuel tank and paint are the next steps.
54 Reo: We really like the Massey Super 90 with the Perkins diesel. Good power, and fuel economy is good. Interesting you recognized it from the pictures. You must have one, too.
Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks