• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4a084/10k gen

jasonjc

I'm tring to get my new to me 10k gen started. But it will not start as far as I can tell its getting no spark. Tryed new plugs,checked/tested the wires. Looked inside the mag reset the points. Some one had both wire (coil and condeser) hooked to the same point on the point. That did not seem right,I moved them to where it looks like they sould be in the TM. Could this have messed up the coiler/mag? Cleaned up the cap and rotor could these have too much of a gap? How do I test/check the mag , coil. This gen was still in the crate when I got it, it was rebuilt in the '80's.

I did do a search and looked in the TM I'm not likeing the truble shooting in the TM.

mangus580

I had one that the condenser must not have been getting a good ground. Make sure everything is clean. I think the coil and condenser wire should both be hooked to the same part of the points, but I dont recall for sure.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even though the points look good, hit them with the file. You can spin the mag by hand and see if its sparking before reinstalling it. Once you file the points and it works, plan on replacing them. Seems once they are filed, they don't last long.

jasonjc

The strange thing about this is there were rebuilt in 81 with 3XX hours and crated on the trailer. When I uncrated them they had 5XX hours:roll::roll: The plugs in one looked brand new 0 time on them, where did the hours come from?

What truns the eng off?? Yes I know the switch but what does that stop/take away from the eng?

jasonjc

Thanks Mangus you were right the TM is wrong both wires go to the same spot. I now have fire. Cleaned the carb and now have fuel. Now I just need to get the timing right:cry: Fire ball out carb not good thing. Hopefully I'll have backup power before long:p And even more hope fully I wont need it.:wink:

mangus580

Jason, I know on Farmall tractors.... you set the crank to the timing mark, rotate the mag all the way one way, then turn it back the other until it trips... and lock it down.

I am not sure how the TM states to do it, but if I recall, it calls for tools you probably dont have.

jasonjc

I got it running. The TM said to remove the rocker cover for #1 and trun the crank until both rocker were "does" I think this is military for lose:p and the time mark is seen and then set the mag to #1 and line up the marks. Now I just need to get a timing light to fine tune it. Will a timing light that hooks over the wire work on these? I'll work on it some more tomrow and get the other one running too.

mangus580

Probably not on the timing light....

But.... if you have a piece of copper core plug wire, you can rig something up pretty easy. wrap the copper wire on the spring of the military wire, and shove the other end in the spark plug.

ida34

I have an M series electrical test set and it includes an adapter that goes between the plug and the cable to allow an inductive timing light. It also has a terminal for the old school non inductive timing light. You might try one but I thought these engines were static timed only.

jasonjc

The TM says to use a timing light and show the adapter you are talking about. I gues I need to find one.

I got it running and it sounds, for 30-40 sec then the Hzerts start to drop off then it starts to pop miss and back fire?? It going to warm up to day so I can take it out side to test run. It fills the shop with smoke pretty fast:razz:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks