• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4l80 engine speed at 60

erasedhammer

Did some math, or I should restate, a website did some math.
I went to a couple different engine rpm calculators to see what rpm my engine would be doing at a certain speed with certain ratios.
All the ones with plenty of input data were consistent, so heres the one I used: http://spicerparts.com/calculators/transmission-ratio-rpm-calculator

I WAS pretty sure I had 2.73 diffs, but now I am not so sure.
For that website I threw in 5.24 for the rear end ratio (2.73*1.92) and 0.75 for the transmission ratio and 37 for the tire size. For the engine RPM I put in 2400, because according to my tach thats what I'm doing when I'm at 60 (measured with GPS speedo).

Click calculate and it shows my speed as being 67!! Then I decided to put in the ratio for a 3.08 diff, 5.91 (3.08*1.92) and I get the correct number, 59.62 @ 2400 rpm (which is what my tach and speedo say).

Short of taking apart my diff, is this an accurate way of knowing what diff ratio I have? It seems unlikely for a m998a1 to have a 3.08 in it?
Also that calculator isn't showing the 200-300 rpm reduction of the torque converter lock up.

Something doesn't add up, I suppose that air friction causes the truck to have to rev higher to attain the same speed? (since these trucks are basically a piece of plywood being dragged through the air)

erasedhammer

Which transfer case? I think the 242 has a ratio of 2.72 : 1. Are you sure of the trans ratio?
Transfer case doesn't matter in this case. It's 1:1 in high so I can ignore it.
I have a 4l80 so it's a 0.75 overdrive but also has a locking torque converter that is 1:1 but offers Ron reduction as well.

spoonsc1

Not sure i can answer that, the hmmwv isnt here right now and not sure how to verify it if it was!! the 4l80 was installed after the fact and if i remember correctly the diff was NOT a 242. thats all i got right now

erasedhammer

Not sure i can answer that, the hmmwv isnt here right now and not sure how to verify it if it was!! the 4l80 was installed after the fact and if i remember correctly the diff was NOT a 242. thats all i got right now
I mean the differential not the transfer case. 2.56, 2.73, or 3.08

spoonsc1

I mean the differential not the transfer case. 2.56, 2.73, or 3.08
I know you meant the diff, I was just giving a little more info on my vehicle concerning the transfer case. Im sorry i do not have that information right now, as well as not being clear in my post.
by the time it is back at the house i should be able to give you those stats

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks